XFX R9 280X won't detect third monitor with Mini DP.

AfeRena

Honorable
Aug 22, 2016
Hello everyone. I got a little problem that I would like to get some help with!

I recently got a HDMI to Mini-DP adapter to plug in my GPU and make my TV a third monitor.
(I got my main monitor plugged in by the HDMI and my second monitor (a VGA one) with an DVI adapter)
When I plug in the Mini-DP, the PC makes the "I found a hardware" sound, but I can't seem to make a third one connect. My GPU drivers are up-to-date.
When I hit Windows+P and select Extend, it cancels my main monitor and then uses the TV and my second monitor. Still, only two active at a time.
In the "display settings", if I choose the third one to "extend desktop to this display" and hit apply, the following message appears: The display setting could not be saved, please try a different combination of display settings"

I'm running on Windows 10 64bit.

Thanks in advance for any help!

https://i.imgsafe.org/710e71e8aa.jpg
https://i.imgsafe.org/710e96e7e4.jpg

Solution
Wow I love XFX customer support. I called in using my company name and said I had a client having an issue with one of their graphics cards... It wasn't even thirty seconds before an actual human answered the phone and he was knowledgeable on the issue!!

Anyways, here's what I found on out on the phone: you need to use an active adapter or else the chipset will reject the signal. That is the root of your issue.

Here is an active adapter on Newegg.
Wow I love XFX customer support. I called in using my company name and said I had a client having an issue with one of their graphics cards... It wasn't even thirty seconds before an actual human answered the phone and he was knowledgeable on the issue!!

Anyways, here's what I found on out on the phone: you need to use an active adapter or else the chipset will reject the signal. That is the root of your issue.

Here is an active adapter on Newegg.

Solution

AfeRena

Honorable
Aug 22, 2016
Hahahaha they sure are great!
But I see now. I'll have to find one of those in my country now (Brazil)! But at least I know how to make it work!

Thanks a lot for all the help, man!