Windows 10 moves drive. How to do a proper Window 10, clean install.

Demo114

Commendable
Sep 12, 2016
Hi everyone. I would like to make a clean window 10 install on my SSD and at the same time keep the SSD for OS only, so that other files don't install on it (With an exception for drivers).

I currently came across a problem that almost every program on my PC made some 'Backup' files on my OS drive in "C:\Users\(user name)\AppData\Local" and take up 15.2 GB. Most of them files are steam games which were installed on my other 1TB E: drive. (The games are still installed on other drive).

Another thing I came across and don't like is that I have a lot of duplicate files all over both drives. The last thing is that although while installation of win10 I chose my SSD C: drive for my OS drive, some part of OS installed on my E: drive, meaning that if I unplug the E: drive the OS will not boot up because the OS seems to be missing and will display the following error:
"Reboot and Select Proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press key..."

I installed the current OS in April 2016. While system scan for duplicate files I found files back from March 2016. Before the installation I did format both drives to wipe all data out of them. I am not a computer genius however I do have some experience with PC's. I never came across a problem like this and at this point I have no idea what to do. I appreciate all help :)

My PC specs:
Motherboard ASRock Z97 Extreme 4
Intel core i7-4790
Corsair Vengeance Pro (4x4)
GTX 660 TI AMP
PSU Corsair CS650M
HDD Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB (E: Drive)
SSD Samsung 850 Evo 120GB (C: Drive)

Solution
The only way to make sure everything apart from Win 10 + drivers goes onto C is to manually change the location of every file you install. There are "fixes" on the internet that show how to change registry but this breaks windows update along the way, Win 10 is not set up to let you move everything automatically to another drive.
You can move all your library folders but some things just have to be on C drive.

Win 10 is a pain in that if you install it and have 2 drives attached, it may decide to put the boot sector on drive 2, just cause its there. Best way to avoid that is disconnect the power on drive 2 before installing on drive 1.

You might need to wipe the TB drive at some stage, but only as it is likely to have an EFI partition...

Colif

Win 11 Master
The only way to make sure everything apart from Win 10 + drivers goes onto C is to manually change the location of every file you install. There are "fixes" on the internet that show how to change registry but this breaks windows update along the way, Win 10 is not set up to let you move everything automatically to another drive.
You can move all your library folders but some things just have to be on C drive.

Win 10 is a pain in that if you install it and have 2 drives attached, it may decide to put the boot sector on drive 2, just cause its there. Best way to avoid that is disconnect the power on drive 2 before installing on drive 1.

You might need to wipe the TB drive at some stage, but only as it is likely to have an EFI partition that might confuse BIOS at some stage. It may not matter too much as it probably points at same file as is on C now anyway (Way Win 10 boots is bios looks for a file name on every drive attached to PC and currently both your drives have that name on them) but it still could cause boot errors.

If you reinstall Win 10 with hdd disconnected it should fix your boot problem. just leave hdd disconnected until you know PC boots without it.

download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB
change boot order so USB first, hdd second
follow this: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

Solution

TRENDING THREADS