55'+ size, 4K, 120hz/144hz or GSync or FreeSync monitor screen

zdeno84

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014
Hi,

I use a 55' 1080p HDTV as my primary monitor. While it works fine, I would like to upgrade in the future to something of the same or bigger size with the advantages of monitors vs HDTV which for me primarily means being able to run games at native >60hz framerate (so 120/144hz, ideally GSync or FreeSync). I know I would need serious GPU to run anything at those rates at 4K and such GPUs are not in market today. Still, even being able to go 1080p at 120hz on 55'+ screen would be splendid (have a gtx980ti).

My google search only returned some office-targeted 55'+ monitor screens which are all produced at 1080p and 60hz.

Is there any monitor screen that would fit what I'm looking for?

Thanks

They don't make any, there are some you can overclock to say 75hz, but nothing past 1080p for that that I know of. I've been PC gaming on TVs for years and the best you're gonna get is 60hz regardless of the resolution, on the up side, look for a TV with low input lag, and at least a 120Hz engine, those two things are lifesavers. Oddly enough, the Vizio line up I believe is the lowest input lag this year, the P series being the bestest. I had a 49in Scepter (Wal Mart brand) at 4k, and that was pretty decent and supa cheap. I have a nice Samsung now, and it's better than the Scepter and the Sharp. Avoid Sharp at all costs. 60hz panel 60hz engine very laggy choppy, good picture if you're using 4k BluRay, but computers don't get along well with them. Haven't tried the LG yet, but those look pretty decent as well. Be prepared to bring stuff back if it doesn't work out. (why I love walmart, it's a pain, but you get to bring everything home to try it)

zdeno84

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014

I always buy Sony exactly for the reason it has lowest input lag. They don't sell Vario, Scepter here.

I read some articles on 'overclocking' TV to higher Hz, but it really seems as a wishful thinking more than a real thing.

chenw

Honorable
4k 120hz/144hz monitors do not currently exist on the market at the moment, only Sony TV actually as a 4k/60hz and a 1080p/120hz mode, generally the max refresh rates are completely fixed for a specific monitor (OC can only go so far).

Here is a list of comprehensive high refresh monitors

http://www.144hzmonitors.com/gaming-monitor-list-120hz-144hz-165hz-200hz-240hz/

In short, if we ignore Ultra-wides, only 1 high refresh monitor of any sort is above 30", the XG3202-C being 31.5" 1080p 144hz, everything else 30"+ are all ultrawides, with the biggest being 35".

55" is currently not possible for pure computer monitors

zdeno84

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014

is that a technology limitation or there simply isn't demand for such monitors?

which Sony TV you refer to is it that does 1080p/120hz mode?

chenw

Honorable
No idea if it is the tech or just unwillingness, but I am willing to bet unwillingness, due to the fact that large panels are currently squarely in the hands of TV industry, and TV can double up as Computer monitors via HDMI connection.

Sony X series TV has support for 1080p@120hz input according to this:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-usage/pc-monitor/best

However this may vary by region. I was checking out X830c, which is an US model, but X8300C, which is the model we have, doesn't seem to support it.

There isn't great demand for high refresh large monitors. It's becoming more mainstream to use a tv for a monitor, but buy and large, everything you can hook up to a tv besides a computer is 60hz or less. It's not just the Sony that has a 120hz refresh on the panel, but here you have to kinda take it with a grain of salt, there are a few that have 120hz panels, however, you need to be able to input at 120hz for that to matter, and therein lies the problem. It's not a tech or a cable limitation, it's just there's no call for it and it's an added expense. For what it's worth, my 55in 4k looks immensely better than my old 39in 1080p.