Black windows desktop, possible broken hard drive

Jacob_42

Reputable
Feb 7, 2016
I'm having a problem with my newer pc that I'm fairly certain has to do with a faulty hard drive. My computer has an ssd and an hard drive, the OS itself is on the ssd but some main files such as my documents and the desktop are on the hard drive which I think is what is leading to the problems I am having. The hard drive I have has been having issues where it where every once in a while completely die if I am working with it, although I should of done something about it earlier I didn't and now I'm in this situation. Whenever I start up my pc it gets to the windows 10 login pretty easily but once I login the desktop it is pitch black, sometimes the Taskbar comes up and even when it does it isn't "complete". I was able to open the task manager on one boot and according to it my hard drive was at 100%use which indicates to me that somethings up. It also takes forever to shut down and it seems to be getting longer and more problematic the more I turn the system on and off. Is there anything I can do to get some level of functionality, I really don't mind buying another hard drive because there cheap but I don't want to loose my oem windows license . Any help would be appreciated and I'll be monitoring the thread like a snake.
Specs
SanDisk Ssd 256 gb
Seagate pipeline 2 tb hard drive
ASUS Z170-A mobo
Gskill ram 16 gv
Asus Rog 1070
Evga psu

Solution
If win 10 is activated on SSD, you can always reinstall win 10 on that PC again, you have a digital entitlement to install win 10 on that PC for the rest of its life... so don't worry about win 10 :)

How did you move desktop to hdd? And more why? Moving something PC uses all the time onto a slower drive is just going to slow you down all the time. If you edited registry I would suggest moving it back onto ssd as that is where it belongs.

To test hdd, use http://www.seagate.com/au/en/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/ since they made HDD.

the dark desktop thing could also mean one of your start up programs is causing the error (try a Clean boot) or that one of your peripherals is slowing down explorer to point it just...

Colif

Win 11 Master
If win 10 is activated on SSD, you can always reinstall win 10 on that PC again, you have a digital entitlement to install win 10 on that PC for the rest of its life... so don't worry about win 10 :)

How did you move desktop to hdd? And more why? Moving something PC uses all the time onto a slower drive is just going to slow you down all the time. If you edited registry I would suggest moving it back onto ssd as that is where it belongs.

To test hdd, use http://www.seagate.com/au/en/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/ since they made HDD.

the dark desktop thing could also mean one of your start up programs is causing the error (try a Clean boot) or that one of your peripherals is slowing down explorer to point it just hangs - only way to test that is unplug them all and boot pc, though you may need kb/mouse plugged in to logon. It can be anything, even speakers.

Solution

gaston2000

Commendable
Sep 14, 2016
not a hardware issue, a windows update issue. after booting wait until the computer normalizes (about 5 to 10 minutes) and then search for this in event viewer:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{8D8F4F83-3594-4F07-8369-FC3C3CAE4919}
and APPID
{F72671A9-012C-4725-9D2F-2A4D32D65169}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

go to regedit, search for the clsid and appid and gain ownership and full access permission, then go to dcomcnfg and search for the clsid or appid, and give local activation permission to the system user, then go back to the registry and give back ownership to the [nt service\trustedinstaller] user and reboot the computer, the problem should be gone.