Motherboard (ASUS Z97-E) Suddenly Getting VERY High Temp Readings?

CigC

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015
About an hour ago, I went to check my temps in Speccy and my motherboard was at 115c! Naturally, I freaked out at first. This has definitely never happened before in the two years that I've been using this PC. I downloaded CPUID Hardware Monitor for a second opinion and received similar results.

I booted into BIOS and my mobo temp was 22c, which is typically what I'd see in Speccy, so I'm hopeful that there's nothing physically wrong with any sensors on my mobo.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this or what caused it begin with? I really dislike looking at these high temp readings, regardless of how accurate they are, and it sounds like these incorrect readings are ramping up my fans!?!?! I could be paranoid, but that's what it sounds like to me.

I'm just so confused as to why this is happening and it's pulling at my OCD.

EDIT: It's worth mentioning I noticed this while in-game! I turned my PC off and rebooted after a few minutes to see the same temperatures.

I can assure you it has always been like that:

sjBqr9d.png

It is reading the wrong sensor. It always has.

CigC

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015

I can assure you it hasn't. I obsessively monitor Speccy and have never seen my motherboard give temperatures like this. I've had this same build for nearly 2 years.

CigC

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015
Sigh, does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

I see that, but you're saying it's always been that way for you and that isn't the case for me. It literally just started happening the other day.

There is nothing to fix is the thing. The motherboard sensor on the Z97-E does not exist. If you want to know the motherboard temp you will have to buy a different board that is built with a sensor there.

Here are some google results for you to check out.
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3focyi/motherboard_temperature_issues_windows_10/
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2768876/4690k-asus-z97-motherboard-running-hot-113.html
https://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=42888&p=275698

If you use HWMonitor you can also see the mainboard temp is non existent. If you had a version of Speccy that showed a reasonable temp there, it is a bug. It was likely showing the 'CPU' temp. This is the sensor AI Suite III reads as the CPU temp (which is also incorrect). It is dangerous to OC with this board relying on AI Suite to show the correct CPU temp.

Of course you can always contact Asus and send the board to them at your expense and hope they don't bend some CPU pins when they send it back with a bill.

CigC

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015

I still don't understand why this started happening suddenly though. The same version of Speccy was previously showing reasonable temperatures for the mobo. And like I said in the OP, I've used HWmonitor and I received similar temps to what Speccy had shown, not non-existent ones.

At any rate, I appreciate the responses. This isn't a critical issue, clearly, but it's still annoying to me.

branch

Commendable
Sep 27, 2016

branch

Commendable
Sep 27, 2016
I have the same issue, same motherboard. It was previously showing a normal temp, now it is 112 deg C. Now and in the past, have tried several other monitoring programs, even HWMonitor, and they all showed the same motherboard temp: was ok before, now it's bad, so is not a software bug in speccy, besides speccy has not been updated for quite a while, and I just noticed this. I tried the stress test, and the hair dryer on it, and the other temps went up, this one stayed the same, so I suspect it is a burned out sensor. Motherboard is 8 months old. I will just try to ignore this issue.