Chkdsk cannot continue in read only mode on data drive.

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
Chkdsk is reporting errors on my data drive (non OS) but cannot continue in read only mode. I thought it was only the OS drive that could not perform fixes in read only mode? What's the correct command to run on my data drive now at this stage?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Are you getting the same response from the commands below:
Enter "chkdsk e:" into the command prompt. Press "Enter" to run the Check Disk utility in read-only mode. This locates errors but does not fix them

Enter "chkdsk e:/f" into the command prompt. Press "Enter" to run Check Disk and fix errors without scanning for bad sectors.
Enter "chkdsk e:/r" into the command prompt, Press "Enter" to do a thorough scan of files and sectors and repair any problems found.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/error-chkdsk-cannot-continue-in-read-only-mode/ba46f95f-41bf-4768-a3ff-2197ceaaf2f9

change e: to drive letter as required

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
For chkdsk D: I get cannot continue in read only mode.

For chkdsk D: /f I get chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume.

Colif

Win 11 Master
try running them in command prompt in advanced start up

choose settings/update & security/recovery/advanced start up - restart PC
in blue menu, choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt

repeat commands. Nothing except windows should get in your way here.

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
What does having an ssd have to with it? I have an ssd, I can run chkdsk in read only mode on C: without having to reboot but it's when it needs to repair something I think is when a reboot is required on C:? (I haven't needed to do a repair on C: )

I've got no idea what process is running that's linked to my D: (data) preventing a chkdsk from repairing within Windows.

Why haven't you felt the need to run chkdsk on your storage drives?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I didn't think it was necessary but it seems it partially is
There is no disk to speak of, so it doesn’t require that the physical drive be checked with chkdsk c: /r. But Windows still uses the same file system whether on an SSD as an HDD, so it can still benefit from the chkdsk c: /f command to repair the file system. Beyond that, Check Disk really just isn’t necessary.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/stuck-chkdsk-use-fix-right-way/

As for why I haven't, just never thought about it. expect i would have to run it at start up as I do use my 2tb drive for library locations

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015

I actually never thought to chkdsk my storage drive either but today I was running through some chkdsk commands and just decided too.

I've got Onedrive on my storage drive and library folders as well so those were probably the tied up processes.

I restarted, and the chkdsk on D: ran but it didn't inform of the errors it found and just repaired so maybe I used the wrong command?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Maybe the lack of a report = no errors? its like people ask me how you know bsod solved... by the lack of them :)

Expect libraries would be enough to stop it.

I randomly run sfc /scannow every few weeks. I have yet to run dism in case it finds problems. I prefer to not know. same as why I don't look in event viewer or run registry cleaners. If it works fine now, don't mess with it :)

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015

When I first ran chkdsk on D: it found errors but didn't say what, unless I missed something or was meant to run a different command. When it scanned and repaired on reboot it was very quick, 30 seconds or less so must have been minor.

Should chkdsk inform you of what errors are found when running the chkdsk command?