looking to get a new monitor G sync or free sync? or are both the same? help me please!

11blackjack11

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2015
well i been pc gaming alot recently and im new to it one thing i wish i knew about was
the whole screen tearing business before building my whole system i hate having to
enable v sync just to get rid of the screen tearing only to witness somthing called "input lag"
i have 2 GTX 980's installed and i wonna see them in there full potential so im looking
to get a new monitor one that wont show eny screen tearing what so ever
so i come across monitors that have somthing called G sync or rather free sync
or are both these 2 the same thing or do they have differences if so wich one should
i go with? g sync? or free sync? hope to hear your guys is opinions

El Bandito

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
Since you have 9xx card.. There is an option in nvidia control panel, its called fast sync.
Its a global sync option that applies to every game you play.
Gpu renders as many frames as it can, but keeps them in buffer. You dont see the tearing, but input lag is also much lower compared to v-sync. Maybe you should try that first before you decide to spend money?
As to your question.. Gsync and freesync are adaptive sync technologies, when you have them enabled your monitor refresh rate will match the number of frames per second your gpu is rendering. No tearing and no lag + smoother representstion of scenes where fps is jumping around.
Gsync is for nvidia gpus. Freesync is for amd gpus.
I am thinking of buying gsync display myself :p

11blackjack11

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2015

hmm fast sync i dont see this within the nvidia control panel perhaps i need to update it?

11blackjack11

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2015

yeah i got 2 GTX 980 so im running SLI i didnt see the option but i disabled SLI and i went back to the option than there i seen it pop i dont think it works with SLI :(