There were problems installing some updates, PC was turned off.

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
I opened Windows update today and found about 4 updates ready to download including the cumulative update (KB3189866)

Upon returning to my PC all of the updates had downloaded and installed except the cumulative update which said it was still ready to download. So I clicked download and it went straight to 95% but then it seemed to be stuck.

I rebooted and it now said there were problems installing some of the updates with the option to retry, but on retrying it gets stuck at 95% again.

I think I've encountered this once before but can't remember the fix. I've seen some solutions but they don't mention what the root cause is. Is it something that just happens sometimes?

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
Yeah right, found my way to that thread about half an hour ago. For people who are unaware this could be very confusing...

If someone shuts there computer off before the updates have finished will they resume on reboot?

Colif

Win 11 Master
i think windows 10 saves the progress on PC so it should just restart them when its started.

My update seems to be stuck at 48% if that makes you feel any better. I have to think that the hold up is their end as its not me. I am not going to mess with anything here to make it faster as I don't know if it is my end or not. I didn't really want it now, was just curious if I had the one you talking about.. I have a PS3, the errors Sony gave when their servers were down always looked like it was your end when generally it wasn't. I wasted hours fixing problems I didn't have.

It won't stop me shutting PC off later

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
Yeah I was about to try and fix a problem it sounds like I don't have (stuck update) even though it feels stuck, like you say must an issue on their end.

If your on automatic updates you didn't really have any choice did you...

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
Do you leave your computer running all night? How can it restart for updates otherwise? I'm pretty sure Windows update will always warn you about restarting during non active hours...

So you haven't found a way to the update catalog?

Could it be a server overload on Microsoft's end or has that never really been an issue for them?

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015

Weird, no one really know's what's going on...

Colif

Win 11 Master

I am often awake after 12 so do it then, and I didn't try to get onto that site as I will just wait for update to get here on its own.

i checked it an hour later and got two updates, the malicious software tool ran, and I got an adobe update, and then it says the cumulative is ready, and then goes straight to 45% and stops again. I can wait, its not like the cumulative adds anything special. NO free unicorns with this patch.

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
Well it's 15/09 and I'm trying again from 95%...

On a side note, am I going to have no OS drive left by the time we get continued cumulative updates? This one looks to have consumed 3-4GB...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Mines still stuck at 45%, even after two restarts. If its like this for too much longer i might look for a solution again.

unless you got a 120gb ssd, i wouldn't worry about updates consuming your C drive. i don't have facts but I could guess some of these updates replace other things so actual size increase is reduced

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015

I'm following you on the waiting game and it's the same for me, still stuck at 95% after two restarts. Let me know when you think it's solution time...

I suppose we can always do an update cleanup from disk cleanup...

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
Do you think it's time to start looking for a solution? I've seen something about clearing out the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder, I currently have 2.15 GB of files in there. I would bet that they're the (KB3189866) files...

Colif

Win 11 Master
i just used the IE link and downloaded the X64 patch and its currently installing it

Visit the Microsoft Update Catalog with the follwing URL:
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=KB3189866

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-update-kb3189866-stuck-at-45/6991f273-c147-485f-9a34-64d9488291f8

hardest part was working out how to get files. It acts like a store so you add items to a shopping basket and then download them once you decide to look at basket.

Also helps to remember where you download them too as you need to run installer once its downloaded. At least it didn't sit on 45% at all and just installed.

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015

What browser did you get to the update catalog with? None of mine allow me access...

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
I opened Windows Update this morning and instead of getting the error that the PC had been turned off and to retry downloading it said that the update was ready to install. Clicked install and it now needs a restart to complete.

It took 3-4 days to get here, I don't what caused it to suddenly work.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Maybe they distributed a part of it before rest of world started asking for it instead and you just had to wait until the rush was over. I would have waited too but you asked for a solution last night and I found one that worked for me. Its possible USA & EU get more attention than us over here - though I would have thought they have more servers than that.

I wonder if Microsoft have two streams of win 10 updates now, as my mum's pc got an update 2 days ago but she is still on old version of win 10, I had assumed it wouldn't get updates but seems I am wrong.