144hz with an DisplayPort to DVI adapter

QuentinG

Commendable
Sep 14, 2016
Hi,
I just bought a new graphic card and i misread the connections : my screen (BenQ XL2411Z) just has DVI input and my card (RX 480) just have DP output. I already looked for a cable or adapter that would let me use a 144hz (or 120hz at least) refresh rate but I didn't find anything..
If you know something please help me out ! :)

Solution
there are talks that you would need a $100 adapter to make it work. but results are hit and missed. basically you need an active DP to dvi adapter (one that actually has a plug to draw some power from the usb). and the cheap ones don't work supposedly. most people are talking $90+ range type adapters

EXAMPLE OF STYLE, not saying this one will actually work: https://www.amazon.ca/StarTech-com-DisplayPort-Adapter-Converter-DP2DVID2/dp/B00A493CNY/ref=pd_sim_147_1/168-4118088-2579830?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VYZCJRXV7TKEZCX4CQ4E

not saying that this will support your needs but its what style your should be looking for. (read reviews of them to find one that supports 144hz, new egg has a lot of reviews talking on different brands/models...
there are talks that you would need a $100 adapter to make it work. but results are hit and missed. basically you need an active DP to dvi adapter (one that actually has a plug to draw some power from the usb). and the cheap ones don't work supposedly. most people are talking $90+ range type adapters

EXAMPLE OF STYLE, not saying this one will actually work: https://www.amazon.ca/StarTech-com-DisplayPort-Adapter-Converter-DP2DVID2/dp/B00A493CNY/ref=pd_sim_147_1/168-4118088-2579830?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VYZCJRXV7TKEZCX4CQ4E

not saying that this will support your needs but its what style your should be looking for. (read reviews of them to find one that supports 144hz, new egg has a lot of reviews talking on different brands/models of these adapters and if they support 144hz) you will just have to read what others said on each model till you find one that people say work)

Solution

QuentinG

Commendable
Sep 14, 2016

Yes that's what I figured.. But the active adapter is said not to be reliable, and I just hoped that a simple cable would exist.. I think I will try to refund my card^^
Anyway thanks for the help !