Aftermarket radio stopped working

Malloman87

Commendable
Sep 14, 2016
My aftermarket radio stopped working. Ive been told it could have something to do with the ignition switch. Everytime i go to turn the key i need to bang it a few times before it turns. The horn has been acting up also. Sometimes it will work and sometimes it wont. My car is a 2001 ford focus with a aftermarket sony radio. Ive tried rewiring the radio as well as checking the fuses under the hood and inside the car. Im really at a loss as to what could be wrong. Any input is greatly welcome.

Solution
You first need to get the electrical schematics for the 2001 Focus.

Overall, I suspect you may have multiple electrical problems.....

Starting with a problematic ignition switch.

As for the radio - how does that relate to the ignition switch? Yes you can turn the ignition switch to permit power to the accessories sans starting the engine.

Work on isolating each failed/failing component. Look at the schematics and determine how the problem could be created.

Still, also keep in mind, that perhaps that aftermarket radio has itself failed. Try to test it somewhere else.

Ralston18

Titan
You first need to get the electrical schematics for the 2001 Focus.

Overall, I suspect you may have multiple electrical problems.....

Starting with a problematic ignition switch.

As for the radio - how does that relate to the ignition switch? Yes you can turn the ignition switch to permit power to the accessories sans starting the engine.

Work on isolating each failed/failing component. Look at the schematics and determine how the problem could be created.

Still, also keep in mind, that perhaps that aftermarket radio has itself failed. Try to test it somewhere else.

Solution