Cannot Update to Windows 10 Anniversary Update (Freeze during Update)

redvolcano7

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2013
Hey guys:

I am trying to update from Windows 10 OS Build 10586.589 to the Anniversary Update but my computer freezes at 1% progress. I have tried everything I can think of including: Unplugging all extra SATA drives except my main SSD, unplugging my wireless network adapter, unplugging all USB devices (even mouse and keyboard), removing old drivers and updating outdated ones, and installing the update through a USB flash drive. It always gets to the same part and freezes until I shutdown my computer and lose no data.

You can see pictures of the frozen screen here: http://imgur.com/a/PseoH.
Reddit thread (Took the guys advice on there): https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/52guz5/windows_10_anniversary_update_freeze/

Hopefully someone can give me some guidance on how to fix this as I've tried everything I can think of. At this point, I think it could be a hardware issue because I've never had these update problems before and I got new RAM fairly recently. Thanks!

Specs:

Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0
CPU: AMD FX-8320 (OC)
GPU: EVGA GTX 750 SC OS
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB SSD
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB

Solution
You could do a fresh install, especially if win 10 was an upgrade from win 7 or 8, and you hadn't fresh installed since.

does the circle stop moving and hdd led stop flashing? 3 hours way too long for ssd,
And just to be sure you've left it sitting there for a few hours just to see if it over comes the problem on its own, right?

I found this article and it sounds like you are doing everything right. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/how-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-anniversary-update/fab99802-4358-49d9-8278-e9664cd56311

The only other thing I can think of is maybe your BIOS needs to be updated? Though looking at the support page the last update is from 2015 so that seems unlikely. Only other thing I can think of is find another GPU and swap it out just to see if it makes a difference, probably won't.

redvolcano7

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2013

I have that latest BIOS from another problem I was having before. Yes, I'vw left for about 3 hours one time so I don't think it can recover itself. Guess ill have to give up on the update. Or maybe can I uninstall my graphics driver temporarily?

Colif

Win 11 Master
You could do a fresh install, especially if win 10 was an upgrade from win 7 or 8, and you hadn't fresh installed since.

does the circle stop moving and hdd led stop flashing? 3 hours way too long for ssd,

Solution
I have been having this same problem, it's now to the point my won't load at all .Gets to the Windows screen, then freezes. Hdd light doesn't flash either. Will not do a clean install either,just keeps freezing. I can no longer get it to load at all.

But one odd thing that happens is if I move the mouse or hit a key on the keyboard the white circle will start moving and the hdd light will flash .That is until I stop moving the mouse or pressing a key .

Op, did you ever find a solution? Any body have any ideas? I'm at a loss.