Desktop not working after trying to reinstall windows fresh by usb

DeTaiLz

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015
Hi. I have a couple of issues actually and I was wondering if you guys could help me.

Specs:
i7 6700k
Msi z170a gaming pro
SSD (I think it's samsung)
2Tb HDD (Toshibia)
Monitor is the 144 asus vg248qe (i think it's called that)

1. The most important: When I got my computer prebuilt it worked. After 7 months I decided to play with bios to see somehow if I could add more features and just learn more and the bios. I restored it to default (horrible mistake) and it told me it would change a load of settings. It still worked but I noticed that my boot order had tons of more devices which were duplicates like I had USB Cd and CD-ROM andthe worst change was my bios resolution was at 1024x768. It looks pixelated compared to the 1920x1080 i had before. So I was curious if there's any fix to reload cyberpowerpc bio settings and get my resolution back?

2. I tried to fresh install windows as I thought i got a virus and made usb first boot, then in the usb windows installer I formatted both of my drives. I installed and it worked fine until i noticed my ssd was disk 1 andnot disk 0. I tried to redo the same operation of reinstalling but before I installed I noticed it still said disk 0 was my hdd and not my ssd which is c drive. I got my cd i got with the computer and i still saw disk 0 as hdd so I installed it on disk 1 c drive. After installing it and changing boot order it gave me a error saying volume and a bunch of numbers. Now it's stuck in a loop of installing windows and giving the error. Bios won't recognize my ssd in the boot order but it does in the sata.

I seriously don't know what do and if you need more clarification please don't hesitate to ask.

Solution
1. You might be best asking them directly as they may have specific settings for your motherboard/ram

2. it appears that they had both drives attached when they installed win 10, and if you do that, win 10 tends to put the boot partition on the 2nd drive. What I suggest is disconnect the power of hdd and reinstall win 10 on ssd without hdd attached, that will force win 10 to install all its parts on ssd. Once it boots fine without hdd attached, you can plug hdd back in. You will need to format this drive to remove old boot sector or it may confuse bios. I would remove ssd from power and run http://www.dban.org/ on hdd, wipe it completely and then format it as storage using disk management.

Colif

Win 11 Master
1. You might be best asking them directly as they may have specific settings for your motherboard/ram

2. it appears that they had both drives attached when they installed win 10, and if you do that, win 10 tends to put the boot partition on the 2nd drive. What I suggest is disconnect the power of hdd and reinstall win 10 on ssd without hdd attached, that will force win 10 to install all its parts on ssd. Once it boots fine without hdd attached, you can plug hdd back in. You will need to format this drive to remove old boot sector or it may confuse bios. I would remove ssd from power and run http://www.dban.org/ on hdd, wipe it completely and then format it as storage using disk management.

Solution

DeTaiLz

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015
Okay so would I boot up from my usb installer again but this time without hdd plugged in just ssd? Then i would format the ssd and installl it, once it boots up i plug hdd back in?

DeTaiLz

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015
Okay and last question, when ssd is fine and i only plug my hdd how do i format without windows?

Also do i need to switch hdd and sdd so ssd is disk 0? Or if I install it only on ssd without hdd it would mark ssd as disk 0?

Colif

Win 11 Master
1. Dban is bootable so just put it on USB and it will do the rest.

There is another way, with just the hdd attached, use the win 10 installer, follow the win 10 clean install process to step 13, delete all the partitions on hdd and simply exit the install. One blank hdd. This is how I used to do it before finding dban.

2. NO, I think win 10 does that auto once its installed on ssd without hdd being there. I think drive 0 must match location of boot partition, I didn't know that until now.

TRENDING THREADS