Forever blinking cursor after BIOS, can't boot back into Windows.

Tom Stout

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016
Hey guys,
My computer yesterday (14/09/2016) downloaded a Windows 10 update and automatically restarted. Since then, it can never boot back into Windows, but it has the most peculiar problem. Instead of giving some form of error to indicate what's wrong, after it gets past BIOS it will just hang with a blinking cursor on screen indefinitely. In my experience whenever there was a significant hardware error or the MBR was corrupted, it would indicate so, but with this problem there is nothing, just a never-ending blinking cursor. I've left it for up to half an hour with no change. I've changed boot orders in BIOS, unplugged every other hard drive except for the boot drive and yet the problem still persists.

After this happened, I booted into an Ubuntu live USB to try and recover the files from the C drive. But whenever I tried to mount the drive in terminal, it gave me an error:

Code:
"Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount.
Failed to mount '/dev/sdd2': Operation not permitted
The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown
Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume
read-only with the 'ro' mount option"

Some quick googling told me that this happens when the Windows system that this partition uses is put into hibernation mode. The same error comes up with all the other drives when I try to mount them as well. Most solutions to this problem suggest booting back into Windows and shutting down completely, but since I can't get past my blinking cursor this can't work for me.
I've tried:

• - Mounting the drive in terminal with "remove_hiberfile" addition, gave an error
    - Using system restore from a Windows 10 boot drive
    - Repairing the system from a Windows 10 boot drive
    - Using start up repair from the Windows 10 boot drive
    - Inputting "powercfg /off" into command prompt whilst in a Windows 10 boot drive
I ended up using the "ntfsfix" command in terminal on the boot drive whilst still in Ubuntu, which allowed me to mount it in read-only mode so I could at least back up all the data I needed. But short of straight up re-formatting the drive and re-installing Windows, I have no idea where to go from here.

I don't have access to the computer right now, but from memory the specs are an earlier generation i7 CPU, an Nvidia GTX 770 (?), 16GB DDR3 RAM, and the boot drive was a 256GB SSD, with several other WD 1TB and 2TB drives for storage. I can get exact specs later if you guys need it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Colif

Win 11 Master
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up repair - this will scan PC and maybe fix this - will ask for logon info

another alternative if that doesn't help
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
follow this from step 2: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-master-boot-record-mbr-windows until they start talking about recovery discs.

Tom Stout

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016

My bad, I forgot to add that I have tried that as well, it said that it could not repair my system. Added it to my question.