Windows 10 PC freezes randomly. Audio from videos or game can still be heard, but screen and programs remains frozen

funktonics

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016
I have recently wiped my system clean from my hdd and installed windows 10 on an ssd and am using the hdd as a storage.
I had run windows 10 perfectly fine before wiping(When an older version of windows 10 was installed onto my hdd). After the wipe and installing, I have been experiencing random freezes about 40-70minutes into using the computer. Whether I'm watching a video, playing a game or just using the comp, it freezes everything.
When it freezes, I cannot access the taskbar, task manager or anything and need to hard reset it. However if I was playing a game, I could hear the audio from the game perfectly fine, I could move in game and shoot but the screen as well as any other program open would still be frozen.
Going idle, I would usually come back to a frozen screen, or a norton boot repair tool that shows up when my computer freezes.
Things I have tried to fix this issue:
1)Set Link State Power Management off in my power settings. Set turn off hard dist after to 0 minutes.
2)Reinstalled windows through "Reset my PC"
3)Uninstalled graphics drivers with DDU and installed it again through safe mode.
4)Did the sfc /scannow command in command prompt as administrator.
5)Did a windows system memory diagnostics.
6)Tried using the computer in safe mode, but it still freezesafter a while.
Anyone have any clue on how to fix it?

Solution
Welcome to the TH Community, @funktonics!

You have done an amazing job with the troubleshooting so far! Kudos!
I'd also recommend you to try swapping the SATA cable connecting your SSD & HDD and also change the ports on the mobo to see if the performance will improve. If it doesn't, I'd suggest you unplug the secondary drive and try booting the system with just the SSD (the OS drive).
Try to run a high-end application (games) again without the secondary drive to check if you will encounter these freezes again.
This way of troubleshooting will hopefully help us determine the source of your issues.

Keep me posted!
SuperSoph_WD
Welcome to the TH Community, @funktonics!

You have done an amazing job with the troubleshooting so far! Kudos!
I'd also recommend you to try swapping the SATA cable connecting your SSD & HDD and also change the ports on the mobo to see if the performance will improve. If it doesn't, I'd suggest you unplug the secondary drive and try booting the system with just the SSD (the OS drive).
Try to run a high-end application (games) again without the secondary drive to check if you will encounter these freezes again.
This way of troubleshooting will hopefully help us determine the source of your issues.

Keep me posted!
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

CJW1951

Reputable
Aug 13, 2015
I know what you are going through. I am going through the same thing, however I know what my problem is. I have very old memory sticks with a clock speed of 400mhz. My processor overpowers the memory and with all computers and electronics...Nothing can run faster than the slowest component. If you have a slightly older system, that might be your problem. Some companies used lower clock memory to save BIG money on systems a few years ago.