WIndows 10 folder location messed up big time

Vort3x_

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
Hello! So I have both SSD and HDD drives for the first time .I tried to get clever by adjusting the folder locations. Somehow everything went to shit and both the documents and downloads location ended up to be the user file with my name. But not only that the name of the folder changed from my name to "documents". And now the locations can't be changed anymore because they both are assigned to the same file and windows doesn't allow me to relocate because of that. So I'm unbeliavably pissed because I just tried to be thorough!!!

Thanks in advance and hopefully you understood the problem

Solution
One bit of advice before you try again. Make the destination folders before swapping the location, it leaves windows less choice.

Its actually easier if you have the documents and everything in the folder before you redirect the library location.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Have you tried to restore the default location without moving the contents? This may not fix your file locations but should reset the path

Did you use file explorer?
right click documents library
choose properties
choose location tab
click restore defaults, but don't let it move contents

Another fix is create a local user and give it admin access and swap to using it instead. It gets access to everything on PC so you don't need to reinstall everything again. Just set up browsers and logon to steam.

You could try system restore, it might fix it.
open settings/update & security/recovery/advanced start up - click restart PC button
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose system restore
choose ltest date if there is one
PC will restart and roll back settings to that date. Might fix this mess.

Vort3x_

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016

I'm trying to go with creating another user. Let's see how that works out

Colif

Win 11 Master
One bit of advice before you try again. Make the destination folders before swapping the location, it leaves windows less choice.

Its actually easier if you have the documents and everything in the folder before you redirect the library location.

Solution