An Unexpected error has occured copying a file from flash drive to hard drive

dimcode

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016
The problem is as follows. I have no problems transferring small files between flash drives and the hard drive. However I backed up my photos and videos and I'm now trying to put it back on the computer I recently formatted but along the copying "An Unexpected error occurs" that stops the copying of the file. I tried doing it in the command line and I noticed that after many files being copied it just stops and says "File could not be found". I returned to the flash drive to see its contents and they don't appear.

So basically I take out the flash drive and put it back in and the files are there. I wait a couple minutes and they disappear. I thought at first it was a problem with the flash drive but it happens with every flash drive. Then I thought maybe a disk problem so I ran a chkdsk and everything was good to go. I then thought it could be a USB port issue but changed between all ports and it is still giving me the error.

EDIT: I forgot to say something that might be related. Something weird happens everytime I restart the computer, the icons on the desktop keep flashing, when I open a program they stop flashing but when I click on the desktop they start flashing again. I disabled aero and every effect and it still does that. I was able to stop it from doing that by restarting the update service is services.msc (for some reason it worked) but everytime I restart the same problem persists.

I don't really know what to do now, any suggestions?

Hello dimcode

If I were you, I would create an ISO image of the entire USB stick (for backup), scan both computer and USB drive for virus infections, confirm if the computer partitions have NTFS file system and that there's enough disk space and the target partition has been defragmented.

I would also try using a third-party copying program such as TeraCopy.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!!

dimcode

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016

Thank you for the reply. The computer and flash drive were formatted yesterday. Nevertheless I still scanned for viruses now and both computer and flash drive are clean. Both drives are NTFS systems and there is enough space. I will try out teracopy. Also there's something I forgot to include in the original problem. It might have something to do with it but I'm not sure. Something weird happens everytime I restart the computer, the icons on the desktop keep flashing, when I open a program they stop flashing but when I click on the desktop they start flashing again. I disabled aero and every effect and it still does that. I was able to stop it from doing that by restarting the update service is services.msc (for some reason it worked).

TRENDING THREADS