SSD (~250GB) for a 3-year old laptop - Samsung Evo 850 or Crucial MX300

bartzy

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016
Hi,

I'm looking for a 256GB SSD for a 3 year-old laptop.

I got my eye on 850 Evo which is $113 where I live, and the cheaper Crucial MX300 275GB which costs $91.

So the Evo is $0.45/GB and the MX300 is $0.33/GB.

For general use (Windows 10, internet, studying, etc), will I notice a different between the two?
One more thing is that the Crucial has 3 years warranty while the Samsung has 5.

Thanks!

bartzy

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016

Thanks for the answer.

What do you mean by reliability? Do you mean faulty drives, or performance degradation over time?

What about ~500GB SSDs? What's the best value drive there for a mainstream laptop?

In my considerable experience, length of warranty speaks a lot about overall reliability (in every sense of it) but doesn't have to be exact science. Let me give you some examples: I have 2 SSDs in my main computer and both are cheapest I could find at that time. One is a Kingston SV300, 128GB, more than 5 year old, had many TB thru it and is still like new. Other one is 240GB Silicon Power, 23 years old and with even more TB of writes, still 100% good.
Larger capacity SSDs have even better chance of surviving longer because of larger spare area.
Best value may depend on where you are as prices and availability vary according to location.