Migrating Win10 (Having Issues)

PokerNerdGuy

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016
I am hoping one of you tech savvy's can help me out. i5-4690k, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Motherboard, 16gb HyperX1866, CX600M PSU, 64gb transcend M.2, 1x ADATA ASP550 120gb and 1x ADATA ASP550 240gb. This is the brand new rig I have just built first time. The purpose of this rig was for gaming and I play a lot of online poker. I am to buy a 1070 near Christmas but in the mean time I wanted to play poker. I am using the M.2 64gb for the OS and the 120 ssd for my poker tracking data base and Music. I am using the 240 ssd for general storage and planned on buying a 500 ssd when I got a new GPU. However, I didn't realise that a lot of programmes store data on your OS system, the M.2 has almost completely filled up. So, I started the process of trying to migrate the OS form the M.2 to the 240 ssd and use the M.2 for my poker database. I should point out that as we speak the system runs perfectly. Anyway, I have created a "system Image" from the M.2 onto the 240ssd. I then restarted the computer and went into the boot menu in MSI. Should point out at this point this is the first time ever using a boot menu or mobo. I followed the MSI motherboard manual and moved the 240ssd, the one with the System Image on it, to boot before the M.2. This lead me to believe that windows system restore would boot and I could restore my system on it, then delete the old OS off the M.2. Instead I just get a "reboot and slect proper boot device etc.." dialogue. I have restarted the system and went in and reset the boot changes I made and it reboots back up as normal from the M.2. Can someone help a noob out. I study Architecture at uni and I start back in 2days and don't have the time to figure this out it is giving me a headache. I would even be happy if it was possible to partition and allocate memory from my 240ssd to the 64 M.2 but I don't even know if that's possible.

What did you use to create your "system Image" ?
A system image usually is just a single file that has to be written back to a drive for it to work.
Nowadays windows uses a separate partition for the boot files and another for the OS itself.
If you used windows for the backup then boot up with the windows DVD to get to the advanced options that allow you to restore the image,everything on your 240ssd will be deleted so you can't restore onto it if the image is on it.

Also every hdd/ssd maker has free tools to make this process as easy as possible,most have a free version of acronis,as does adata,read a few guides make sure you understand the basics and you will have no trouble migrating your OS.
http://www.adata.com/en/ss/software-5/

PokerNerdGuy

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016

I used windows to create the system image. I have not made a back up i thought that was similiar to the system image. My windows is on USB. Where should i move my image to then? I am going to look at acronis here. Also when i do this do i have to go into my boot menu and switch around so it boots from the 240ssd rather than the M.2? Or will all the data be removed from the M.2?

PokerNerdGuy

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016

What a complete nightmare. This has taken me 48 hours and i still have not got the computer the way i want it. I followed your instructions and went to the ADATA website to download "Acronis". This is their new software that comes free with the SSD. It will allow me to migrate my OS to my new ADATA SSD. I am thinking brillaint, This is just what i need. All i have to do is register my product and download the software. After spending 15 minutes opening the new rig again to get my warrenty number on the back off the SSD, i copied it down wrong. Another 15 minutes goes by and i get the warrenty code correct just to find out that for some god dam reason it wont give me a god dam registration key. I am pretty steaming at this point. I have registered both my SSDs on their website and downloaded their software but cant access it. So i do what i can only do in that situation. I open their costumer support tab and begin entering my credentails. Dont even know why they ask for my phone number, cause if they rang me i would tell them to feck off. After spending a stupid amount of time entering stuff they shouldnt even know about me, I finally arrive at the bottom of the page and i clicked "send". Of course a dialogue box appears saying i have missed "My Country" Field. I scrambled to the top of the freaking page and low and behold, the box is completly broken. I dont know why, i try refreshing the page, even opened it on another browser and still it glitches out and wont show any "drop down" countrys to select. Completly livid at this point because i cannot send my problem if i dont fill out this field. Just then, i see a survey on the bottom left of the screen asking about feedback. I thought "Feeback", Ill give them feedback. I open the survey, half heartedly fill out the boxs in my rush to reach the "addition Comments" section at the bottom. This is what i have been waiting for. In this comment box i spend 10 minutes explaining my situation. I explained i cannot contact their customer services team because something is wrong with their webpage. I spill my guts explaining how i have spent 2 days trying to setup my new computer and everything is going AWOL. I look up, feeling somewhat relieved that i finally got it off my chest, only to find out the fuckers had capped my comment off at a mere few characters........
Anyway, 48 hours later, my computer is still not setup the way i wanted, I still havent migrated my OS and some poor women on ADATAS Customer Survey team has an additional comment that just reads "Cunts".

Cole_9

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
my friend has a program that helps with drive migration. you can migrate your entire drive from one drive to another, and then just keep whatever data you want on that drive on that specific drive. He should be sending me the link to it soon, so I can maybe send you the program. Its a very easy program to use.