HDMI 1440p Terrible

Commandersoap

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016
Hello, i am having a problem. Recently i purchased myself a Asus VX24AH 1440p monitor with dual link hdmi and vga to go with my 980 TI superclocked by Evega. I have been using it for a day now and have noticed its terrible quality with hdmi. Before used a standard DVI to VGA adapter to play 1080p on my old monitor but since i have purchased my 1440p monitor i have had to use hdmi as DVI to VGA does not support 1440P :( Since my change to HDMI i have noticed that the image quality is a lot sharper and the screen is a lot darker than it was on my other monitor, i have checked and it is definatly using the pc display for my graphics card in the nvidia controll pannel so i do not see what the problem is, from what i have heard HDMI and DVI look exactly the same but for some reason there is a major decrease in quality as there is not smoothness to my game and it feels all sharp and the images are way darker. Would anyone be able to help me with my problem ?

Solution
HDMI is sharper because there is no digital to analog to digital conversion like there is with VGA. Although the blurring effect you get when using VGA is generally considered undesirable, it can smooth out some jagged edges. If you want to get the smooth look back (with better quality) you should enable anti-aliasing - FXAA will make things a lot smoother without affecting performance much.

scuzzycard

Honorable
HDMI is sharper because there is no digital to analog to digital conversion like there is with VGA. Although the blurring effect you get when using VGA is generally considered undesirable, it can smooth out some jagged edges. If you want to get the smooth look back (with better quality) you should enable anti-aliasing - FXAA will make things a lot smoother without affecting performance much.

Solution

Commandersoap

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016
Thanks for your fast response. So would there be any way to get VGA and 1440p working on my monitor like a certain adapter or is that not possible ? Also i have fxaa and everything enabled and always have everything ultra on nearly every game i play.

scuzzycard

Honorable
1440P through VGA is hit-or-miss, I don't recommend trying to do that. Can you take a picture of what your monitor is doing when plugged into HDMI? It sounds like something is really wrong. It should look better, not darker or worse in any way, other than being sharper and noiseless.

Commandersoap

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016
I managed to fix the darkness in the settings of the monitor so thats all fixed now. I just have to get use to the sharpness i guess and eventually it will start looking normal to me :D but thank you so much for your help