Unable to post pictures

sargan

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
This is browser related - on W10 I access Facebook via Firefox

For past couple of week I have been unable to attach any pictures to Facebook .... (Firefox v48.02) video links work fine.
Also as a test tried MS Edge - same fault
I typically get a moving bar that looks like its in progress then after a few minutes it just fails and goes back to the post ... occasionally it gives the word 'Error' and a blank pic with an 'x' but not every time.
Or it just gives a beige box where picture should be ... but 'post' button does not become active.

If I add pictures to FB via my phone it works fine, so proves account & the pictures are OK. So must be PC config related.

I tried the advice to make sure no old versions of Flash installed, and version is current.
Also deleted history & cache.

additional issue may help on diagnosis ... on help pages for FB it says to use option on main page to 'report a problem' when I try that, I again get the moving bar and failure to complete ... so can't even report the problem. (did report from phone but response seems to be, thanks but we may never reply)

Solution

Good to see Microsoft support can fix some things :)

sargan

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
Hi .. it is not a Firefox issue as described its the same with MS edge.

The photos are satandard jpeg and only around 1Mb ... and load fine via phone - so not the image file
Confirmed that it works fine from phone and from another PC ...... so proves FB account is fine ....so it is something specific to my W10 PC

I have installed latest FLASH and tried it with Ant-virus disabled - no difference ...... points to it being a W10 config problem.

Anybody any other suggestions ?

Colif

Win 11 Master
you said browser related and mentioned Firefox so I assumed you meant just it.

try this
right click start button
choose command prompt (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter

this scans system files and may fix this behaviour

I don't know if edge uses flash, I know IE does, but I haven't used edge enough to know

did you only mention flash as its been mentioned in other fixes?

Microsoft is changing how its Edge browser handles Flash elements by disabling all but those that it says are central to the page you're viewing, like games or Flash-based video.

Specifically, a post on the Edge developer's blog calls out that ads and animations using the aging browser plugin will be click-to-play from here on out. Microsoft's John Hazen says that this will decrease power consumption and boost performance with Edge, like it similarly has on Chrome and Safari before it. Furthermore, Hazen promises that in time Edge will offer additional user control over Flash that's the main part of a web page, as well.
https://www.engadget.com/2016/04/08/rip-flash-edge-dislikes-you-too/

Does same thing happen in chrome?

You did say that this was browser related. So now you are thinking that this is NOT browser related? (Color me confused.)

sargan

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
What I mean is that I cannot upload facebook pictures via my browser.
I can upload pictures to other sites - and the same FB issue on Edge as well as Firefox ... so the fault is not browser related directly, but how files are transferred from PC via browser.

Some extra information - created new account on PC ... same issue - so it is not profile dependent.
I can use browsers on other devices and the account works fine - proving account is fine and issue is limited to my W10 PC

I can open the pictures OK with any appropriate apps, can upload them to sharing sites, or email them ... only issue is FB.

I have run:
Malwarebytes - nothing found
SuperAnti sppyware - nothing found

sfc /scannow
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
chkdsk /r /f

No errors on any of these.

sargan

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
... I managed to post 'error report' from my phone ...... but you get a 'thanks for feedback' which mnakes me think I will get zero help from there.

The issues happens on single pictures ... (1Mb so not large) ... no option to contiune and they might load anyway as 'Post' button stays inactive.

sargan

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
Any suggestions on how to resolve then .... looks like it is my OS10 install is the issue, is there such a thing as a reapair install ... don't want to have to reinstall all my programmes.

sargan

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
No reply from FB .............. anybody here any suggestion how to resolve ?

I'm sure 'if' FB reply, they will say as it's working on another PC ... then it must be PC/Browser issue not FB

sargan

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
Resolved - contacted Microsoft support. eChat answered in 2mins (pretty good) they connected to PC, tried a few things then did a reset to default config ... clearing all settings.
Fixed the problem.

Colif

Win 11 Master

Good to see Microsoft support can fix some things :)

Solution

sargan

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
I was impressed eChat responded in 2 mins
Advised they are a dedicated W10 upgrade problems team.
I got free upgraded support as I was within time period form upgrade.

Fix was brutal ... as I have to reinstall all apps - but at least it is fixed, no other solution suggested worked.