$50 via Paypal if you can fix my HTPC --> TV Resolution Issue

UnckDeCamp

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016
Hello All. I am so fed up of not being able to solve this.....

I have a HTPC plugged into a 55" Sony TV and the windows 8.1 resolution says 1920x1080 but everything is way too big.

I know because when is use remote desktop to log into another computer, the same 1920x1080 resolution has all the desktop icons much smaller.

My problem isn't over/underscan. I can get everything to fit into my screen perfectly. I made a webpage that embeds 4 VLC players to tap into my ceton tuner to mimic Dish network's "Multiview" screen. The last third of the 2 VLC players on the right hand side of the screen are chopped off. The players are hard coded to be 960x540 each so they should fit perfectly. I plug in a computer monitor and it works perfectly, but not the TV.

HELP ME PLEASE AND I WILL SEND YOU 50 BUCKS (USD) VIA PAYPAL!

Solution
I would remove the nvidia drivers entirely mate.

Reinstall either 372.54 (last one) or 372.70 (latest) from scratch

once installed open nvidia control panel

open resolutions tab
set to 1080p,1920 x 1080 (native)
60htz

apply

open adjust desktop size & position

size tab - ensure enable desktop resizing is unticked
scaling tab - scaling mode aspect ratio
perform scaling on 'display'

apply - try again

these are the same settings as im using on a 970 connected via hdmi to a 60 inch tv.
no issues whatsoever

TO me it sounds like your looking at the wrong end of the issue. What Sony TV is it? Did you look up what the TV supports? TVs do NOT support 'exactly the same way' as your computer monitor, in fact quite the opposite. So what may work clean on a Monitor will not look anywhere close on many TVs.

Also like to note: Windows 7/8 is no longer supported, so many 'solutions' will be coded for W10, which means they won't 'code' for W7/8 and you can't 'monkey it' backwards to work. I would also consider updating while you still can to W10 and use the latest drivers, to ensure your 'pushing' out the right resolutions on the support OS/drivers.

UnckDeCamp

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016

I built the PC. It has an evga gtx 950. Sony tv is KDL55ex723 I think. Thanks!

UnckDeCamp

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016

Hey Tom,

Thanks for the insight. The TV works properly with another PC that I tried with a 660ti in it. It also works properly when i use remote desktop on the bad HTPC into another computer. It makes no sense!

The bad HTPC is running win8.1 pro 64 bit, btw.

UnckDeCamp

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016

I have tried multiple HDMI cables. I have tried setting a custom resolution at many different resolutions and frame rates.

I have also tried reinstalling all nvidia drivers and still no luck.

A simple "Google" for the model screen you provided shows the Sony webpage support. Simply looking for the Manual online got me this link https://docs.sony.com/release//KDL-EX723_imanual_EN.pdf
As it says for clicking Settings/Home Menu > Picture & Display > Screen (for PC input) there is Wide Mode which
"Wide Mode
Normal : Displays the original picture.
Full 1 : Enlarges the picture to fill the display area maintaining the original picture.
Full 2 : Enlarges the picture to fill the display area."

Also under Settings/Home Menu > Picture & Display > Screen (for inputs other than a PC) --If it doesn't detect correctly / is set to other inputs...
is

Wide Mode
Wide Zoom : Fills the screen with minimum distortion.
Normal : Displays the 4:3 picture in its original size. Side bars are shown to fill the 16:9 screen.
Full : Enlarges the picture horizontally to fill the screen when the input signal is 4:3.
Zoom : Displays the cinemascopic (letter box format) picture in the correct proportion.
Caption : Enlarges the picture horizontally to fill the 16:9 screen, while fitting captions in the
screen.
Auto Wide
Automatically changes Wide Mode to match the input signal.
4:3 Default
Sets the default screen format for a 4:3 input signal.
Auto Display Area
Automatically adjusts the picture to the most appropriate display area.
Display Area
Full Pixel : Displays the original picture when parts of the picture are cut.
+1 : Displays the picture using the TV’s maximum display area.
Normal : Displays the recommended size picture.
-1 : Enlarges the picture.
Full Pixel is available only when the input signal is 1080i/1080p and Wide Mode is set to Full.
Screen Position
Adjusts the vertical position and horizontal position of the picture.
Vertical Size
Adjusts the vertical size of the picture.

And I am sure there is probably some more on the 4;3 or 16:9 settings as well if you keep going through your TV Menu items. Have all these been checked to accommodate the HTPC input. Mind you then things may look 'squish' or 'not full' when your using your normal TV inputs once you make these changes.

enable desktop resizing in nvidia control panel?? manually resize rather than automatic.
tried older nvidia drivers??

Id say the issue is with the 950 & very likely to do with HDCP.
Is there a dot by dot / just scan / 1:1 scaling button on your tv at all??

UnckDeCamp

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016

Than you Tom. I am very familiar with all of these settings and what they do. Everything the TV is displaying is correct aspect and framing. The only thing that is wrong is that windows says its displaying at 1920x1080 and it is clearly not. maybe a little bigger than 1280x720.

It is so frustrating!

So youre saying that the sceen is showing everything ,thers no cutoff anywhere at all??
Just the icons are bigger,suggesting the actual resolution is lower & those preset vlc windows are not fitting??

If so then this is 100% a nvidia scaling issue mate

UnckDeCamp

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016

Thank you madmatt. I have tried the desktop resizing nonsense with no luck. Older drivers might be an option further down the road. HDCP is verified and all is well. The TV does have settings for that but now luck.

Like I said earlier, windows is reporting 1920x1080 but it is clearly not. When I RDP into another machine, it displays perfectly.

Frustrated!

UnckDeCamp

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016

Bingo.
If it is a scaling nvidia issue, how would I go about nuking whatever settings it has stored to make it reinitialize?

Thanks,

I would remove the nvidia drivers entirely mate.

Reinstall either 372.54 (last one) or 372.70 (latest) from scratch

once installed open nvidia control panel

open resolutions tab
set to 1080p,1920 x 1080 (native)
60htz

apply

open adjust desktop size & position

size tab - ensure enable desktop resizing is unticked
scaling tab - scaling mode aspect ratio
perform scaling on 'display'

apply - try again

these are the same settings as im using on a 970 connected via hdmi to a 60 inch tv.
no issues whatsoever

Solution

DreXor akaRobert

Reputable
Nov 16, 2014
Before getting too aggressive on updating computer drivers and hardware, computers to TV on hdmi gets finicky, try using a VGA connection to the TV and see what resolution options you have.

On 2 of my TV's at home i use the VGA ports as they allow me to go 4 resolution modes higher than an HDMI connection out of my computer or through a VGA to HDMI adapter.

UnckDeCamp

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016

So I uninstalled the nvidia drivers, reboot the machine and all is well. I reinstall the drivers, and everything goes whack again. I'd roll without the proper drivers, but as you can imagine, the video is terrible. Now I have to hone in my settings in the Nvidia Control Panel. I tried many combinations on the scale/resize page but nothing seems to take.

Any more insight?

UnckDeCamp

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016

VGA isn't an option right now, but thank you for the suggestion!

Try a custom res of

1918 x 1080
1920 x 1078

Make sure scaling is set to none.

Short of that (maybe try dropping back to really old drivers) pretty stuck mate.

Seen some people disabling HDMI audio seems to fix it but not a great solution for a htpc in all honesty