Monitor Advice needed

G

I am planning to rebuild or replace my gaming PC next summer. However, I am considering replacing my 5-6 year old HP 2311x 1080p monitor on Black Friday or Cyber Monday later this year. Because my future build will use a single GPU, such as either a GTX 1080, 1170, or Radeon equivalent, and the current issues with frame rates at 4K on single and multi-GPU setups, I am looking at another 1080p monitor. I am considering either an ASUS or Samsung monitor because of my good experience with their other products, but I am open to other possible brands. I am looking for a reliable 23-27 inch monitor that works well with gaming and is priced around $250 or less. I know this may be a little early, but I just want to have some candidate models which I can research ahead of time. Thanks in advance.

Ne0Wolf7

Reputable
Jun 23, 2016

Nvidia is the right choice if you want to avoid multi GPU at 1440p with the 1170/80's, expescaily if you want to see 144 FPS

spat55

Distinguished

Yeah but with Vega coming that could change, I don't like being locked into one vendor and at least Freesync is free, that is why I think it is superior, if you do want a Nvidia card then like me you haven't lost money on a technology you cannot use.

One other thing with 144hz is if you play a game that is demanding you can get 50 fps with freesync and it looks decent but if you go into CS;GO/Overwatch etc then you can easily get 144 fps, if you don't have that much money then freesync is a life saver for some people with cards like the RX 480 or R9 Fury, I used mine with a R9 290 and thought it made alot of difference at 40-60fps but after that not so much.