Can't boot specific games on Steam (missing .dlls and error code 0xc000007b)

deadsa13er

Reputable
Sep 12, 2014
So I recently installed the Bioshock Remastered games to my system and upon booting them through Steam, absolutely nothing happened.

I then booted them from the .exe and it said I was missing msvcp110.dll and msvcr110.dll.

I found both of these files were present in the System32, so I decided to put both of them inside the games files as well to see if that did anything. Upon booting them again (admin mode and normally) it would say that it cannot boot the game and give me the error code 0xc000007b.

This is where I currently stand and I'm not sure what else to do for this. These are the only two games I have that don't work and every other game on Steam works.

I've tried reinstalling the game twice, and I've also verified the integrity of the both game caches as well.

Any solutions would be welcome as I would like to actually try the games!

Thanks

Solution
msvcp110.dll is a part of the Microsoft® Visual Studio® 2011.
MSVCR110.dll is the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable dll that is needed for projects built with Visual Studio 2011. The dll letters spell this out.

MS = Microsoft
V = Visual
C = C++
R = Redistributable

Its likely the versions you installed in folders aren't the versions the game was looking for. Try the solution here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21397073/msvcr110-dll-is-missing-from-computer-error-while-installing-php

try this:
right click start button
choose command prompt (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter

note: before you ask, running SFC won't break hdd, all it does is fix system files :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
That would be an indicator of a bigger problem involving windows losing access to the system partition on your hard drive. First thing I would do is press windowkey + r (run) cmd. it'll bring up a command prompt. Type in

chkdsk /f /r

Let it do its thing. It will repair any errors it finds and inform you if you cannot repair any possible errors. Hopefully it doesn't mean your hard drive is dying.

Also, you may want to check the physical connections between motherboard and hard drive to insure they've got complete, secure contact.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/8850/discussions/0/613936673313136617/

deadsa13er

Reputable
Sep 12, 2014

Okay, I'll give this a try later tonight and see if that does anything. Thanks

deadsa13er

Reputable
Sep 12, 2014
MERGED QUESTION
Question from deadsa13er : "Will running chkdsk damage my HDD?"

I'm having some issues booting some games on Steam (error 0xc000007b) and I've been told to run a chkdsk /f /r.

Will this damage my hard drive? Is there some way I can see if certain areas of the drive are damaged before I run the command?

The main reason I ask is because I have no issues with any other games or areas of my system, I just can't launch the new Bioshock Remastered and Bioshock 2 Remastered.

Thanks

Colif

Win 11 Master
msvcp110.dll is a part of the Microsoft® Visual Studio® 2011.
MSVCR110.dll is the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable dll that is needed for projects built with Visual Studio 2011. The dll letters spell this out.

MS = Microsoft
V = Visual
C = C++
R = Redistributable

Its likely the versions you installed in folders aren't the versions the game was looking for. Try the solution here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21397073/msvcr110-dll-is-missing-from-computer-error-while-installing-php

try this:
right click start button
choose command prompt (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter

note: before you ask, running SFC won't break hdd, all it does is fix system files :)

Solution

deadsa13er

Reputable
Sep 12, 2014

Ok, So I'd previously installed the x64 versions of C++ but after reading the link I decided to install the other versions.

Now I've got a new message telling me to install Windows 7 Service Pack 1, even though I'm on Windows 10? I'll try but not sure where to go from here.

I also ran the SFC command and it said "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

deadsa13er

Reputable
Sep 12, 2014

I finally managed to get it working!

When the game closed itself Windows troubleshooter asked if the game was working correctly. I said no, and then after a short moment Windows managed to fix the game and it launched afterwards!

Thanks for all the help, without you telling me to install the x86 versions, I'd still be back at square one :)