Audio device disappeared from device manager on start up. No Sound.

I'm having a weird problem. I restarted my computer today after testing a restore disk that I made and my sound icon has a red x over it and I have no audio playback. I opened up the playback devices and there are none there (disabled are shown). I've run the troubleshooter and it finds no problems.

I've tried restarting (and shutting down) and reconnecting my headphones to different audio jacks and there is still no audio.

Weirdest though, is that in the device manager, under Sound, video and game controllers, my Realtek Audio device is no longer displaying. I have never had an audio device just disappear like this and I'm worried because I have a new motherboard that I installed 2 weeks ago.

I can't uninstall my audio drivers because the computer doesn't detect them. Not sure how I should proceed. Maybe there is a way.

Thanks in advance.
3 answers Last reply
More about audio device disappeared device manager start sound
  1. try this

for on-board audio - you need to go into the BIOS and make sure the onboard audio device is enabled. it may have been disabled some-crazy-how and now windows sees no audio device

for a dedicated sound card - shut down the system and remove the card and try it in another slot if available, re-seat the card if no other slots are free.
  2. I've solved the problem by restoring with the acronis backup I just made. Sorry, I can't provide more of an explanation as to what the problem was or how to solve without a restore.
  3. R_1 said:
    try this

for on-board audio - you need to go into the BIOS and make sure the onboard audio device is enabled. it may have been disabled some-crazy-how and now windows sees no audio device

for a dedicated sound card - shut down the system and remove the card and try it in another slot if available, re-seat the card if no other slots are free.

Thanks for the help! I managed to get it working again with a restore.
Ask a new question

Read More

Device Manager Audio Devices