PC booting up but sends no signal to the monitor

jaspher20

Reputable
Nov 20, 2015
I've had this problem for quite a while now. It starts when I power the computer on and the monitor prompts that there are no signal being sent to it. The desktop startup sound is still there, and then i try to press ALT + F4 then press enter to shut down the pc. Afterwards I try to power it on again and the computer now sends signal to the monitor. It's always just one try after I shutdown the pc.

But now after several tries my pc won't send any signal to the monitor at all. Do you guys have any ideas as to which part is malfunctioning? I had a gtx 630 a year ago and this problem already existed back then so I tried upgrading to a gtx 970 and then the problem didn't show up for awhile until now.

I've also tried using different cables and monitors but to no avail.

Solution
Right!... don't know how I missed the monitors being mentioned... all I asimilated was "cables"...

I don't think the PSU would last a year with the same issue... but every possibility should be tested... and since it resembles a power issue:

1. the computer should be tested with a different PSU to make sure it's not the problem.
2. the mobo should be checked for bulged, blown or leaking capacitors.
3. the PCIe socket should be cleaned; dust, mould or cigarette smoke residue on expansion and ram sockets can cause issues.
4. video card power connection should be checked for voltage
5. the BIOS should be reset.
6. If none of these solves it, or even happens to be present, the motherboard would have to be replaced. Some...
If your motherboard has integrated video, try the video cable on that and go from there...

When the monitor says it's not getting a video signal, it means exactly that... opposedly bad video output* usually still sends a video signal though it's so weak it's not enough to produce display, so what you have is:

1. a non working video card,
2. a bad video card power connection,
3. possibly a bad PCIe slot...
4. or a bad connection in the monitor video feed.

See if a different monitor solves the mistery.

*From; bad PSU, mobo, BIOS, GPU, RAM, CPU, bent socket pins, bad monitor caps, etc.

Right!... don't know how I missed the monitors being mentioned... all I asimilated was "cables"...

I don't think the PSU would last a year with the same issue... but every possibility should be tested... and since it resembles a power issue:

1. the computer should be tested with a different PSU to make sure it's not the problem.
2. the mobo should be checked for bulged, blown or leaking capacitors.
3. the PCIe socket should be cleaned; dust, mould or cigarette smoke residue on expansion and ram sockets can cause issues.
4. video card power connection should be checked for voltage
5. the BIOS should be reset.
6. If none of these solves it, or even happens to be present, the motherboard would have to be replaced. Some motherboards can give different symptoms of impending failure. I had one that gave a similar symptom (no message, just a blank display) for maybe a month - month and a half when starting from cold before it failed.

Solution

jaspher20

Reputable
Nov 20, 2015
Thanks for the answer guys. I tried plugging the monitor to the integrated video in the monitor and a display showed up. This sucks cause my graphics card (gtx 970) was only bought 10 months ago. Though ill try plugging it into my brother's motherboard and see if it works there. Wish me luck