Will a i5 4670 bottle neck an ultrawide experience?

jivjav9

Reputable
Mar 15, 2015
In my current rig i run an i5 4670 (non k) and a R9 280 with a 1080p monitor.
I am strongly considering an upgrade to a gtx 1070 and an ultrawide 1440p monitor (maybe the LG 34UM95).
It'll probably just be within my budget to do this so does anyone know if my CPU will wreck my performance? (I play games such as GTA V, Witcher 3 and am looking forward to ME Andromeda and Mafia 3) I really wont be able to afford a CPU on top of everything else.
Additionally is there a cheaper monitor which doesn't sacrifice too much?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Solution
Particle effects is gpu load but more gpu load (higher settings since you are getting a better gpu) can indirectly have more cpu load as it's feeding the gpu. But it can be less as the gpu has to do more work and the cpu is waiting more for it to finish. It's a bit of a balancing act so usually don't see much of a difference in cpu load. Your cpu is good enough that you shouldn't have any issues.

jivjav9

Reputable
Mar 15, 2015

but if say there are particle effects in the scene, because there is more on screen at any one time with ultrawide, wouldn't there be more stress on the CPU?
(you may be right and everything off screen is usually processed anyway, i just want to make sure)

Particle effects is gpu load but more gpu load (higher settings since you are getting a better gpu) can indirectly have more cpu load as it's feeding the gpu. But it can be less as the gpu has to do more work and the cpu is waiting more for it to finish. It's a bit of a balancing act so usually don't see much of a difference in cpu load. Your cpu is good enough that you shouldn't have any issues.

Solution