looking for someone in the know on building gaming pc's to have a look at my parts list.

I would suggest cutting some corners where you can and going for a 1070 instead. A 1060 will play a lot of games at 60 FPS, but many of them you'll have to compromise settings quite a bit to do so.

There are places where you could spend less, like a 6500, a cheaper CPU cooler (Hyper 212 EVO), a cheaper but still quality brand 80+ PSU, a cheaper case, etc.

Odins-Disciple

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016

Thanks for the reply, the ram on this build is supposed to be 16gb (2x8gb) ddr4-3000mhz. I must not have changed it. As much as I would love to get a 1070 I just can't afford it as this build is costing me £968 with a 1070 it will cost £1056.

Yeah I was going to suggest 16GB RAM too, but didn't know if you wanted to spend the extra.

I disagree on build cost though. If you factor in my advice, you should be able to save a fair amount on the parts I mentioned, and put it toward a 1070. If it comes down to waiting a bit longer to afford a 1070 despite those changes though, I still think that's a better plan, because a 1070 would last much longer before needing an upgrade.

RenegadeNC

Commendable
Apr 26, 2016
If you're only wanting to play at 1080p then the GTX 1060 is good enough. Myself i'm using 2 GTX 970s for 1440p with 100+ fps and the GTX 1070 is slightly better than my 2 cards. I would recommend getting 16Gb of ram as Frag said but this is optional, it just helps since you won't need to close things like google chrome and if you ever have a game with a memory leak then the more ram the better as you may not crash because of it. For what you're wanting your current build is great, if you go for the 1070 then i'd recommend upgrading to a 1440p monitor as it's a bit much for 1080p unless you have a high refresh rate monitor to take advantage of the high fps you'll get. You can also get Windows 8.1 Pro OEM keys from Kinguin.net for 20£ to save a little money.

There are many games the 1060 cannot play at 60 FPS with max settings.

Anno 2205
AC Syndicate
Crysis 3
Black Ops 3
Hitman
The Witcher 3
Ashes of the Singularity

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1060/

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_1060_g1_gaming_review,1.html

This is just to name a few. It really depends whether you want a card that can only handle a majority of games at 60 FPS, and will only struggle more as hardware demands increase, or one that already can handle any game at 60 FPS, and has some future ready headroom built in. There are many things on your list which are of unnecessary expense. The 1070 is a wise investment.

Odins-Disciple

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016
Thanks for the help guys, I should probably say this will be my first gaming pc as I am upgrading from PS4 so don't need to be getting the best graphics out there. If it's just a bit better than the PS4 I will be happy.