Can't finish windows 10 PRO 64bit install due to BSOD failures.

Buggsymalone

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016
This is going to be a bit long because I want to provide all the info.

Please keep in mind, This PC built under try 1 ran for a few hours before first BSOD failure.

A new PC build with all new components:
1st try
windows 10 64bit OEM dvd
ASrock z170 extreme 7+
Core i7 6700
Noctura NH-D14
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 2666MHz
MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition
samsung evo 850 1Tb
Corsair RM850XI

Power up and windows install went fine. Upgraded to latest windows version so I could install video card drivers. No problems. Installed video card drivers. began install of MB drivers from disc and I get assaulted by BSOD's.

Since I was fresh into a new install and instead of trying to find out why, I formatted the hard drive and went to reinstall Windows again. I have yet to finish an install.

I tried various configurations of RAM from 1 stick to 2 to all four. I removed the video card and went off on board video. nothing worked. I was able to return the motherboard which leads to build #2 below.

2nd try
windows 10 64bit OEM dvd
ASUS Maximus VIII Hero
Core i7 6700
Noctura NH-D14
EVGA 16G (2x8gb) DDR4 3200MHz
MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition
samsung evo 850 1Tb(also tried WD 1Tb HDD and crucial 256G SSD)
Corsair RM850X

Before windows finishes installing, I'm slammed with BSOD.

the errors are in no particular order:
page fault in non page area
whea uncorrectable error
irql not less or equal
computer restarted unexpectedly. windows installation cannot proceed...

I've built over a dozen setups since 2000 and have never had a problem that I had to reach out for help for. Now it's time to suck it up because I'm mentally exhausted.

What gets me the most is that it was running initially. I've done a lot of searches and everything is pointing to these errors as a product of upgrades from 7 and 8.1 with AV software or drivers needing to be removed. I can't figure that would be the case on a clean install.

The only thing i can think of to do next is try another processor. I don't really want to go down that road because I can't imagine a processor would fail out of the blue.

The 850w power supple should be big enough.

When it comes to log files, I'm lost so if you need a startup log, please point me to a reference so i can learn how to do it.

I've also tried to go into safe mode during install but it won't let me saying that windows can't complete install in safe mode.

Solution
it can be the processor. I spoke with asus tech support 2 times, they insisted it was my cpu because they have some problems with 6700k processors, dunno if they have with 6700 as well. Did you buy the parts from a local shop or a shop you can return them and just tell them to test all parts?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA) errors are hardware as if you couldn't tell from name, and mostly tied to CPU, or drivers. Since this is during install, there aren't many drivers around.

Did you update bios on Motherboard? it could be source of driver errors perhaps. The two other errors are driver errors and/or data errors and since you replaced both the ram and storage, and still get them.. um...

Try this, , download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB or DVD. Use it instead of the OEM disc as it is possible the version of win 10 on the DVD doesn't know what your GPU is as Microsoft had to release a patch so win 10 knew about the 1000 series

Install drivers from the Asus web site, not the DVD, if you can get that far... At least they are new, can't tell how old ones on DVD are.

I don't know what logs would exist on a current install.

Have you tried to install using the integrated graphics on Motherboard? I would think problem has to lie with one of the parts you didn't replace, so see if it happens without GPU

See your memory running at 3200Mhz.

Go into the bios, and manually set the clock speed of it to 3000Mhz instead.
Or for the voltage of the memory modules, depending on the motherboard you have, up the ram voltage by 0.250 Mv.

It should stop the BSOD if happening when trying to install windows.

Personally I think you will find by simply lowering the memory to 3000 Mhz you should be able to get windows to install without a BSOD.

Please give it a try.

Post back if it resolved the problem.

slyverine

Reputable
Mar 4, 2016
I had a similar problem with my new build with 6700k , asus z170 pro gaming and hyper x predator 2400 RAM. Bios updates did nothing to fix it, the problem was RAM related when i was using all 4 sticks i would get an error in memtest every second. Problem was fixed when i bought asus maximus viii formula and BIOS updated. Run memtest to check if your problem is RAM related.

Buggsymalone

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016
Thank you all.

I'm leaning towards a bad processor.

I removed the GTX and tried the on board video. Tried installing the most recent version of Windows 10 from the microsoft website via USB and DVD. Updated the Bios to the latest version. And I underclocked(is that what I should call it?) my RAM to 3000MHz.

All resulted in immediate BSOD. This time in specific order :)

You PC ran into a problem - stop code =: 0xc000021a
page fault in non page area - what failed: WimFsf.sys
Critical process dies

I currently have memtest running and will let it run through the night as I've nothing better to do. If it results in no errors I will assume that I have a bad processor and will return it for another one.

At that point, what else could it be?

slyverine

Reputable
Mar 4, 2016
it can be the processor. I spoke with asus tech support 2 times, they insisted it was my cpu because they have some problems with 6700k processors, dunno if they have with 6700 as well. Did you buy the parts from a local shop or a shop you can return them and just tell them to test all parts?

Solution

Buggsymalone

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016
9 passes on memtest and zero errors. I should have the replacement processor friday...along with a Noctua mounting kit for the 115x processors. It seems there is some concern about the the thinness of the wafer board and over tightening of the heat-sink mounting options that may cause the processors to fail. Since the kit is reasonable and it is different than the one that came with the NH-D14, better safe than sorry.

Buggsymalone

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016
so far so good. windows installed, zonealarm, chrome, motherboard and video driver...

Now, I believe I may have been my own worst enemy in all of this. Although the cooler was advertised on amazon as being compatible with 1151 processors, the instruction did not list 1151 and the cooler mounting kit I received WAS different.

I'm not doing my happy dance yet but I'm sure I will before the end of the night...