New Apartment - Gigabyte Speed through Ethernet, Wifi Unusable with my Router

Ninja Chachi

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
I recently moved into an off-campus apartment while I attend college, I have 3 other roommates that use the internet as well. The internet speeds through the two (ridiculous I know) ethernet ports is blazing fast, pretty much a gig up and down with minimal ping. The problem is, with the wifi set up using my older Actiontec gt784wn it's impossible to do anything, websites eventually load, and my podcasts download at like 80kbps, 100 kbps if I'm lucky. One other thing, my apartment used MyResNet or MyCampusNet and it's a bit of a pain due to the fact that each device needs to be registered, but oh well.

My question is what can I do to have usable internet? Like why would wifi be soooo slow when I can have multiple laptops connected to an ethernet switch running speed tests of almost a gig? What router do you guys recommend? I just want usable to quick internet throughout my relatively small apartment. Thanks!

RealBeast

Titan
That is an old DSL modem, and they really don't make good access points as you can see.

Get a router with gigabit ports (LAN and WAN) like an ASUS RT-N56U or any of their AC routers if you want AC channels available.