Resolution Greyed out and at 640x480

JohnProto

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016
I suddenly had some really weird problem with my computer I have never seen before and my rsolution has greyed out and stuck at 640x480. I have tried reinstalling my graphics card driver and still its the same, scanned for malwarebytes and my virus scanner which I have the full version of avast internet security. but Ive not done a full scan of it yet. Its just stuck at this reolution and I dont know if you have seen this before, Ive looked on the net and cant really find a solution. thanks. oh heres my speccy as well, its reading 640 on there too. http://

Solution
check with another cable

don´t hot plug

plug in cable, power on TV and then power on the PC

try updating the monitor driver over the device manager. choose plu and play or the exact tv model
The simplest thing to do in your case is John.

Is to load windows up.
Click on the start button of windows 10.

In the search box type : System restore

Click on the search result presented to the left hand side.

And run system restore of windows 10.
Click on the option of show all restore points.

Now take a look at the time and the date where a windows update or restore point was made to the system.
The restore point will list the date it was made, and the time, along with a brief description of what was installed as a windows update you your system or any other program.

Click on the restore point and restore your system to that point in time.
Once the restore of your system completes it should reset the system.
And you should find that you windows desktop is back to normal with a list of screen resolutions you can select without them being greyed out John.

Let me know how you got on, or if it fixed the problem you were having John ok.

JohnProto

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016
Thanks shaun, unfortunately because I have a samsung solid state drive one of things that I disabled was system restore so I have no restore points to restore to. i read a few things about solid state and it said to disable it so i did. But I tried something else which was weird, i restarted my computer multiple times to no avail so then i thought i would turn off the computer completely at the mains go make a coffee come back 5 minutes later or so turned it back on and it started normally and the correct resolution was back. but its done this before come back normal after turning the pc on and then the greyed out resolution problem came back, but at least for now its working normally again. :D

JohnProto

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016
its only been doing this for the past 3 days and yesterday it was fine until the problem came back again. but now unplugging at the mains and turning the pc on 5 or so minutes later seems to have fixed the problem. its weird cos the only thing ive installed in the past week is the updated version of CCleaner so its an odd one

JohnProto

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016

I have it plugged into my Panasonic DX902b tv which is a 4k . I did unplug it and plug it into my Asus PB278Q which is 2560x1440 and I used a displayport cable connection and the display didn't even come on the monitor so I unplgged it and reverted back to the panasonic screen. I have updated my bios but about 6 months ago and the driver I got was the very latest 16.9.1 radeon driver.