Having problems restoring back up to original HDD after clean installing win 10 to a new SSD

Derrick_12

Commendable
Sep 19, 2016
I clean installed Windows 10 to a brand new SDD yesterday in my pc which has had everything stored on my current HDD. I followed guides instructing me to back up my current HDD to an external drive which I did and unplug the HDD while installing the new SSD with Windows 10. I did all that and plugged my HDD back in to restore my old files but after several attempts I still can't get it right. I know the files are securely on the external drive but I think there's an issue with assigning the files back into the right place. Initially I used the default option of letting the files go back to their origin but that didn't work. I noticed that the SSD took (C:) which I know my HDD used to follow but now that is (D:) and I don't know how to fix this.

Solution
did you wipe hdd during win 10 install? If not, why do you need to put anything back on it as all the files should be on drive now. You disconnected it during the install, its exactly the same now

What are you trying to achieve? Are you trying to copy all your applications back onto the ssd without the need to reinstall them? As that won't work this way. Only way to do that is to clone the contents across.

SSD is drive C as windows always makes its install drive C if it can. HDD just takes whatever is next in the alphabet if its installed after Win 10 is.

Colif

Win 11 Master
did you wipe hdd during win 10 install? If not, why do you need to put anything back on it as all the files should be on drive now. You disconnected it during the install, its exactly the same now

What are you trying to achieve? Are you trying to copy all your applications back onto the ssd without the need to reinstall them? As that won't work this way. Only way to do that is to clone the contents across.

SSD is drive C as windows always makes its install drive C if it can. HDD just takes whatever is next in the alphabet if its installed after Win 10 is.

Solution