icons are showing the old ones when I change the default program

fikrynuhuman

Commendable
Sep 19, 2016
Hi this is the problem I am facing. I upgraded for windows 10 few months ago. The problem is when I set an app for default for a file the old icon is only showing. it never changes. For an example if I choose to set VLC media player as default for an Mp4 file which presently opened by windows movie player even if I change it to VLC it will again show the Windows movie app icon instead of VLC. This is a big problem for. I need response asap. The only solution I know is I need to restart explorer. But in windows 8.1 It was all Ok. I have rebuilt the icon cache also. It did not work. So I need a solution. THANKS

Solution
try going to control panel/Programs/default programs/Associate a file type or protocol with a program and set your defaults in here. There are however a few program types you cannot change but for most part this should work.

Colif

Win 11 Master
try going to control panel/Programs/default programs/Associate a file type or protocol with a program and set your defaults in here. There are however a few program types you cannot change but for most part this should work.

Solution