Doubt on setting up 3 monitors

fabiangc

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016
I have a Asus 1440p monitor with GSYNC and would like to buy additional monitors to build a 3 screen setup. I use Nvidia 1070 + 980 cards. What are the requirements to use Nvidia surround? Can I use monitors with different resolutions and refresh rates? I would like to add 2 24 1080p inch monitors on the side of my 27 1440p. Does it work? Can I use both cards or I need to connect all to same card?

Solution
For a surround setup the monitors need to have the same resolution and the same refresh rate. If you want to use 1080p monitors as part of a surround setup (and not as independent displays) you will need to downscale the 1440p monitor's resolution and set the refresh rates to be the same. You will also not have access to G-Sync.

If you just want the side monitors as extra workspace and whatnot rather than part of a surround setup, you can just plug those into the GTX 980 (which I'm assuming is the secondary card) and they'll function independently from your main monitor.
For a surround setup the monitors need to have the same resolution and the same refresh rate. If you want to use 1080p monitors as part of a surround setup (and not as independent displays) you will need to downscale the 1440p monitor's resolution and set the refresh rates to be the same. You will also not have access to G-Sync.

If you just want the side monitors as extra workspace and whatnot rather than part of a surround setup, you can just plug those into the GTX 980 (which I'm assuming is the secondary card) and they'll function independently from your main monitor.

Solution

fabiangc

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016

Thank you!