What will happen on the first boot when swapping out your motherboard for a new one.

InfernalPhantom

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016
So I am deciding to upgrade my prebuilt HP computer by salvaging the CPU, RAM, PSU, GPU, HDD, and Heat-sink and fan. All I will leave left will be the mobo and case (for my family to use for their own build). With my salvaged parts I will buy myself a new mobo and case to make into my own build. The question I have is when I connect everything and finish my physical build what will be my first boot like, and will it wipe everything on my hard drive if resulting in a windows fresh install. Also since I bought a prebuilt system that came with an already installed copy of windows 8 (which I upgraded to windows 10) am i able to use the digital license /product code to ensure my FULL activation of windows 10?

Final question: Since I am leaving my family with a spare mobo FROM HP will it work if they use it as a normal part without any restrictions?

Solution
If you install a new motherboard, then due to the board being set to factory defaults of the bios.
You are going to have to enter the bios of the motherboard to change a few settings as the first thing to do once you have connected your salvaged hard drive and other parts from your old system Phantom.

You will most likely have to set up the mode of the Sata interface mode selected for booting of hard drives from Sata mode to Ahci mode.

And then select the boot order of hard drives, or other boot able devices, such as a Dvd optical disk drive, and any usb devices that are bootable. External usb connected hard drives ect.

Enable CSM mode of the bios, and for the detection of hardware and booting devices you have an option between...
If you install a new motherboard, then due to the board being set to factory defaults of the bios.
You are going to have to enter the bios of the motherboard to change a few settings as the first thing to do once you have connected your salvaged hard drive and other parts from your old system Phantom.

You will most likely have to set up the mode of the Sata interface mode selected for booting of hard drives from Sata mode to Ahci mode.

And then select the boot order of hard drives, or other boot able devices, such as a Dvd optical disk drive, and any usb devices that are bootable. External usb connected hard drives ect.

Enable CSM mode of the bios, and for the detection of hardware and booting devices you have an option between Legacy booting hardware or Efi firmware booting devices. Efi being for newer hard drives or SSD drives.

Save all of the new changes made in the bios before you exit it.

If you do a clean fresh install of windows, that you will need to do anyway because of the new motherboard.
Then all information and personal files, Pictures, Music, or work documents ect will be wiped or destroyed.

So back them up to another hard drive before you change the motherboard over for a new one.

Solution

InfernalPhantom

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016
Thanks for the quick reply! Another question I have is if I need to to configure my HP mobo (for my family) before I give it away to them, OR just leave it as it is, before I take it all out.

Thanks.

I would load optimized defaults just to make sure it's configured to factory settings, then put it in without worry.