Whats a good High End CPU for Gaming with the Titan X Pascal at 4K?

AndreDBU

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016
I'm still deciding which CPU to go for. I have these options: 6700k / 6800k / 6850k / 5960x / 6900k. By the way, I am building this PC for a professional flight simulator called prepar3d. I want to run the game at 4k and 100Mhz. In the future depending my budget, I will run titan X Pascal 2 way SLI. I will leave my PC specs down below:

CPU: ?????
Motherboard: MSI X99A GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Blue
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory White
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: NVIDIA Titan X (Pascal) 12GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
11 USB's (total)
Water Cooling System CPU & GPU (360mm & 240mm Radiators) x5 120mm & x1 140mm Fans

Appreciate your Help!

AndreDBU

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016

Well, thats mu budget (not unlimited) lol. If I need to change the motherboard to a z170 I will, I just wanna pick the best CPU for my needs.

rad666

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010

If you are at all concerned about your budget, save yourself the money and get the 6700k+z170 combo. The 6800k+X99 are nice, but are really unneeded right now. I just recently ordered an 6800k+X99 (don't have them yet), but I could afford the overkill.

AndreDBU

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016

Gaming and Flight Simulator is kida different. speacially for flight simulators because you can actually make the game better by adding new scenarys and downloading files. flight simulators usually uses cores and its more about GPU than CPU. hat talking for prepr3d, Flight simulator X is more CPU than GPU. thats why I would get a 6 core (or more) processor + the best graphics card. Now, Why I dont go with SLI, because the Sim doesnt have an SLI profile and its not reccomend it for that game.

agreed.
Unless you want to wait for KABY LAKE such as i7-7800K or whatever but I don't know if there is much notable benefit for your usage.

Other:
1) I suggest your DDR4 memory be bought in a single kit, not two kits (it may not matter, but occasionally it does)

2) M.2 SSD-> there is a diminishing return of REAL WORLD benefit to faster SSD's. I would not pay much extra beyond what an 850 EVO (i.e. 550MB/s max read/write) gives you.

Often the data is copied and read from the system memory so the SSD frequently goes unused aside from loading times and even then 2x the theoretical perf doesn't mean 2x the actual perf due to bottlenecks with CPU/GPU optimizing textures or whatever.

Fast SSD benefit is mostly for stuff like video editing when reading or writing is limited by the SSD speed, not CPU (or GPU).

3) Titan X?
Is there a requirement for more than 8GB per GPU?
I wonder if the benefit of it vs an overclocked GTX1080 is really worth it.

In fact, the GTX1080Ti may be coming soonish. You may want to hold off and see what it offers. It's probably going to be the same performance as the Titan X (P) similar to how the GTX980Ti beat the Titan X (M) due to higher overclock offsetting slightly less cores.

*also, after-market can be much QUIETER than what NVidia offers with its designs.

4) GSYNC MONITORS?

You mention 4K, but that's not usually a good choice. If you want a SINGLE monitor, then a 3440x1440, 100Hz, IPS, GSYNC monitor is probably the best choice for your needs. That's an ultra-wide which is slightly curved but it's best for a flight simulator if the only monitor.

Is there a 100Hz, 4K monitor?

If you don't get GSYNC then you have a problem. If you game at 100Hz, then you need to be able to output 100FPS, otherwise you get screen tearing (VSYNC OFF) or stutter issues (VSYNC ON but can't hit 100FPS).

I'd personally avoid the 2nd GPU and put that money into a good GSYNC monitor. Then add the 2nd GPU only if you really need it.

With GSYNC things are smoother and you don't need to hit a specific FPS to avoid issues (like VSYNC ON and stutter). A flight simulator need not run at 100FPS. You could get the monitor I mention and aim for 60FPS. Perhaps CAP it (not VSYNC) for a more consistent FPS but it won't have the latency issues (lag) of VSYNC ON with a 60Hz monitor.

Summary:
- concentrate on what GSYNC monitor to get
- avoid 2nd card unless needed (GTX1080 or GTX1080Ti probably best)

3440x1440 video of Prepar3d:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZF0Wh4JRpw

With GSYNC I'd probably aim for at least 40FPS. 100FPS at 4K at all times is just not feasible for this sim (if you want to keep quality high and that's the point isn't it?), and also unnecessary with GSYNC.

So again, put the money into a good GSYNC monitor and avoid the 2nd GPU unless it's absolutely needed. Frankly a single GTX1080 is going to give you an awesome experience at 3440x1440.

(does SLI even work well for this game?)

AndreDBU

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016

You are totally right. I was wrong on the monitor that I wanna get, btw is the Acer predator x34p. I dont wanna get SLI unless the game finally has a SLI profile because it doesnt. thats why I wanna getb a single titan X. Rumors say that the titan x (p) and the 1080ti is just gonna be a 10% more in performance for the titan x pascal. the most importants thing for the Sim are FPS and quality while adding new files / addons into the sim to have more realism and look nicer. I want to OC te GPU and CPU btw, and do a water custom loop for both.

Example BUILD: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/wWsbLD

1. If you use QUAD-CHANNEL memory setup you do not need a 3200MHz kit. The 2666MHz kit is fine, which runs a lower voltage thus putting less stress on the CPU memory controller.

(memory also runs hotter, which is more likely to cause problems with no CPU fan close by)

2. The CASE I chose looks the same but it supports a DVD/BD drive. The "S" variant does not.

3. I chose a single GTX1080 for reasons discussed in my above post (though you can add another one).

4. I chose a red/black theme. The Asus card can change color on the logo that is viewable. The MSI has a bright red but you can't really see it anyway in a normal case.

Got red memory sticks. Even PSU has a few red connectors.

5. PSU - quality model. 1000W is plenty in case you want 2xGTX1080 or better later.

6. Monitor - may want to research GSYNC, and ultra-wide but I believe this is the best choice. Not sure if the Asus is better than Acer or not. similar quality, so I'd try to investigate WARRANTY and quality but I can't find much difference. (avoid the 2560x1080 monitors)

GTX1080Ti vs Titan X(P)

The GTX1080Ti non-reference is likely going to match, or slightly exceed the Titan X(P) performance once overclocked. And more than 8GB is very unlikely to be needed.

Unfortunately the release date is uncertain. The Titan X(P) is probably about 15% faster than an overclocked GTX1080, but it's hard to compare since there aren't many good results for the Titan X(P) under liquid.

At stock you can get over 25% boost in some cases, but again I don't know if the GTX1080 is going to overclock higher to close the gap.

Custom water loop?
Okay, it's hard to put a price on that.

*for liquid cooling, I suggest getting a card that is predone. Like THIS:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/zotac-gtx-1080-arcticstorm-waterblock-gpu/

Its a full block and even setup with RGB color.

**Liquid cooling probably won't get more of an overclock most of the time, but it can make it more STABLE and prevent stuttering in some cases (the GPU frequency isn't bouncing around). This has been discussed at Jayz2cents and other places.

STOCK and PRICING still seem to be issues.

Other:
You could also build the main PC, possibly with a stock CPU cooler and use your current GPU if you need to wait for a specific video card.

Anyway, good luck.

AndreDBU

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016

Wow dude, you are a Master! thanks for everything!
That build was sick, I really like it the combination with red. the build color that I want to make are white black and light blue, kind of like an "Artic" looking. talking about the 1080, I prefer more the titan x pascal. I watched so many benchamrks between those two and its pretty reasonable going with the titan x pascal. We will see how the 1080ti will do.
btw, what CPU do you recommend me for this build? why not going with the 6850k over the 6800K? I'm still struggling with the CPU tho. I want to pick the best one overall for just the Sim.

The i7-6850K was almost $200 more expensive ($610 vs $430).

Under liquid they likely overclock EXACTLY the same. The i7-6850K has a slightly bigger cache which can benefit some scenarios slightly.

IMO you would be throwing $200 in the garbage.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/core_i7_6950x_6900k_6850k_and_6800k_processor_review,20.html

The 6850K wins slightly in a benchmark (meant to show a best-case for a better CPU), but that's simply the faster clock speed. They both have 6C/12T (six cores with hyperthreading).

If you multiply the clock speed difference (under load it's about 36/34 if we subtract 200MHz per CPU for a lower Turbo value) that is 5.8% difference. I get about 17,490 if I multiply the i7-6800K which gives me almost the same as the i7-6850K.

Anyway, I have to go.

I like ASUS in general for motherboards but still do my research. The board I chose hasn't been around long enough to get a good idea or reliability but it should be pretty good. The AUDIO and other features should be fine.

Don't forget about speakers as well if you still need some. No doubt you'll get a good headphone as well, but that's a separate post if you need it.

One thing I noticed on headphones is that some come with Virtual 3D software that does a half decent job for STEREO speakers but it usually distorts the audio a lot (speakers with multiple drivers are not good IMO so I stick with quality stereo). So you may want to use it for some games where positional audio is more important than overall quality, but otherwise leave it off.

VR is pretty cool for use with SIMS like this.

I plan to get an Oculus Rift eventually but probably a later generation once there is more content and STAR CITIZEN has been out for a while.

Other:
It's spelled "sic" by the way, not "sick".