Windows 8 Restart At Startup

ElementNine

Commendable
Sep 21, 2016
I have Windows 8.1. Recently it has been restarting itself about 10 seconds after starting the computer. When I get to the desktop Windows gives me a message that it didn't start properly and asks me to send information to Microsoft. It also tells me what it will send, one of the files being some sort of .dmp file, another one being an .xml file.

Picture: http://imgur.com/a/nE6Fd

What is it that causes this probelm? Is there any way to solve this? The file names don't really tell my much about what the problem could be.

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Sounds/looks like a Boot Manager issue. Your Boot Manager loads Windows for you from your BIOS. So typically speaking, if your machine is having trouble loading into Windows, it's because your Boot Manager is either corrupted or damaged.

There's a service called 'Startup Repair' which runs repairs on your Boot Manager. That should fix any Boot Manager issues. There's a chance that the corrupted/damaged components are beyond repair. If Startup Repair doesn't work, you'll need to re-format the machine, which does result in a loss of data. So try Startup Repair first.

Either way, once you're up and running, immediately run a backup. Can be a snapshot tool (i.e. Rollback rx) or a disk imager (i.e. Macrium Reflect Free). This is important as you may encounter issues again down the road and need a backup just in case, will make restoring easier.

Latest posts