Does the latest version of Windows 10 Anniversary still cause lockups and crashes?

donharmon

Reputable
Sep 9, 2014
I installed Anniversary Ed. soon after it came out. Installation seemed to go just fine, like past ones, but my PC would not boot up. It would crash as soon as the desktop appeared. My PC is an ordinary Dell with 8 gb RAM, i7 CPU, 1 tb hard drive. No SSD, no camera, nothing special.

Solution
Most of the issues with the Anniversary update related to users that had moved their User folder to a drive other than the OS drive. I think it had to be the entire User Folder though. For me, I have three systems in my house with SSD's and all of them have had the larger folders in the User Folder moved, so Downloads, Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos have all been moved to the systems HDD. I haven't had a single issue with any of those three, or the three other systems in my house.

GameFreak01048

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016
Hello!

My laptop went incredibly weird but my gaming PC acted completely fine with the anniversary update, if i was you I would do a fresh install if anything bad happens, that's what I did with my laptop when the keyboard and mouse stopped working randomly, one fresh install later and everything was fine :)

Colif

Win 11 Master

My experience with the AU mirrors yours all the way until you said it wouldn't boot.

Upgrades always have a chance of not working. but the vast majority of people who got AU had no problems. we know that as they aren't here asking questions.

I would suggest downloading the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB. And instead of upgrading, doing a fresh install. If you hadn't done one on Win 10 yet, its over due.

If you had win 7 on PC before, Win 10 install would want you to delete all the partitions on hdd and start again, so backup everything you want to keep before hand

follow this: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

donharmon

Reputable
Sep 9, 2014

Most of the issues with the Anniversary update related to users that had moved their User folder to a drive other than the OS drive. I think it had to be the entire User Folder though. For me, I have three systems in my house with SSD's and all of them have had the larger folders in the User Folder moved, so Downloads, Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos have all been moved to the systems HDD. I haven't had a single issue with any of those three, or the three other systems in my house.

Solution

donharmon

Reputable
Sep 9, 2014
I had Windows 10 already. I can do a clean install, but would need to buy a new Windows 10 Anniversary CD - about $120. I am willing to pay it, but do not want to get a version still with a lot of fatal bugs.