Weird Windows boot issues (8 and 10) please read! Need help!

I've installed a new operating system now on my PC. I had Windows 8.1 and Now i'm on 10, in hopes that this issue will be fixed. Here's the whole story, please read it, I really need some professional help.

About a week ago I bought a new GPU (ASUS GTX 1060 6gb). It went in fine, drivers installed fine and it played games fine for a week, so It's obviously running fine.

Then on Monday I booted my PC in the morning and it was fine. Went to College and came back, booted it again and after the windows loading screen, it goes black (like it usually does before showing login screen) but instead of going to the login screen, about 30 seconds passes and it just reboots itself, re-does POST and everything but then it's fine... I used to be on an AMD gpu but I've installed a new version of Windows and like I said, it was a week from the upgrade so I don't know if that's specifically the issue. Windows was from a USB fresh with fresh drivers too.

This issue just doesn't make sense. Please help me try to fix this issue. There's nothing in the Event Log either...

Thanks
- Sam

Solution
Update: I think I fixed it!

looked in the "Software" tab in Event Viewer and at exactly the same time as the crash I saw an error to do with igfx (Integrated graphics) so I went and downloaded DDU and unintalled BOTH drivers. The integrated and my main GPU one. Then I went into the BIOS and fully disabled it. I then installed the lastest GPU driver and rebooted multiple times and didn't get the issue

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
That is strange. Unfortunately there's going to be a bit of trial & error to establish the cause.

Please post your full system specs (including make/model of motherboard, PSU etc).

First (and easiest) to check, I'd suggest looking at Windows Update - did anything occur/update between the time all booted as normal, and this problem occurring? If so, try uninstalling/rolling back, and see if the issue remains.

I appreciate a fresh OS install has taken place but, are you using the latest GPU driver, and fully removing prior drivers? (again, an auto-update may have taken place, depending on your settings).

You can run DDU to ensure all prior versions are fully removed: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

How do your temps look for both the CPU & GPU at idle and at load (you can use HWMonitor to check http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html)

There are potential hardware causes too (HDD, RAM, PSU etc), but addressing drivers/updates is an easier starting point.

Thanks for your answer.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-DS2V
CPU: i5 4690k @ stock
RAM: 2x4gb DDR3 (Crucial)
PSU: Corsair CX600M
GPU: ASUS DUAL OC 1060 6gb @ 1974mhz (stock)

1. Temps are completely fine. I monitor them most of the time and not seen any anomalies.

2. I'm currently running Memtest86 to test my RAM

3. I installed Windows 8.1 twice and Windows 10 now once. I made sure to always use DDU too.

That's it really. I've tried most things and all the reliability monitor shows is "Hardware error" and "live kernel error" and that's it. Even in event viewer.

Strange thing is, it plays perfectly and even after its booted, I've not found any issues after the initial boot issue. I just hate these little problems.

So what do ya reckon? Can't be Psu because it was fine all week, can't be gpu because of the same reason but it must be hardware because of new OS installs.

EDIT: Actually coming to think of it, I remember a Windows update on 8.1 a few days after my gpu upgrade. Don't know if that's related.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It doesn't give you a number next to "kernel error"?

Memtest will be helpful. let's see if that gives any errors.

If it occurred immediately after a Windows update, it's possibly routed there - but Hardware error is telling you the exact opposite. Memtest results will either give a probably cause, or allow us to move on elsewhere.

As an FYI, it's a little premature to rule out a hardware defect (such as GPU or PSU) just because they were fine all week.
It would be unlikely, but not unheard of.

I'd like to also add the fact that it doesn't happen on every boot. Could be 2 normal then 1 error one... I'll find that kernel code for you after the memtest mate.

Maybe the update is causing the issue and every time I turned on my PC it was a "lucky" boot? :/ I think it updated and then a few days past before the issue emerged.

Did 2 passes on Memtest but I don't think my RAM is the issue...Found out that the Live Kernal Event code was 141 which points to a GPU driver issue?

c1f52369c3564c54baf36b93d12adc4a.png

Update: I think I fixed it!

looked in the "Software" tab in Event Viewer and at exactly the same time as the crash I saw an error to do with igfx (Integrated graphics) so I went and downloaded DDU and unintalled BOTH drivers. The integrated and my main GPU one. Then I went into the BIOS and fully disabled it. I then installed the lastest GPU driver and rebooted multiple times and didn't get the issue

Solution