Motherboard + CPU change, "need to uninstall Windows" -question.

PotatoComputers

Commendable
Sep 21, 2016
I currently have factory build Asus- computer and I have upgraded RAM, PSU and GPU. Only things left are the motherboard and CPU. I have A10-7800 and my budget only cuts for AMD FX-8350 and Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (300€).

My question is, can I uninstall Windows 10 and do the "fresh start" without touching my D-drive?
I have all my games and stuff in there. The games I can always install but that still leaves me 500gb of other stuff... I really can't store them anywhere else. I don't want to lose my pictures and other important things.

Will uninstalling Windows leave D: alone and only touch C:? It is the same hard drive.
Here is my situation: http://imgur.com/a/nigMX

Edit: I have GTX960 OC and 12gigs of RAM. Other budget friendly (300€) suggestions to mobo and cpu are appreciated.

Solution
Before you swap motherboard/CPU, do the first step here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Once motherboard/CPU are in the PC, and win 10 reinstalled, do step 2 ofd that link to reactivate. There is a chance it won't work as prior to update 1607, replacing motherboard/CPU counted as a new PC to Microsoft. You may need to call them after fact and see if they reactivate it for you

Use the Windows 10 media creation tool and make a Win 10 installer as it will have right version of Win 10 to allow reactivation

Its not a question of removing, its more a question of putting win 10 back on hdd. The installation process would remove win 10 but it may also ask you to remove drive...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Before you swap motherboard/CPU, do the first step here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Once motherboard/CPU are in the PC, and win 10 reinstalled, do step 2 ofd that link to reactivate. There is a chance it won't work as prior to update 1607, replacing motherboard/CPU counted as a new PC to Microsoft. You may need to call them after fact and see if they reactivate it for you

Use the Windows 10 media creation tool and make a Win 10 installer as it will have right version of Win 10 to allow reactivation

Its not a question of removing, its more a question of putting win 10 back on hdd. The installation process would remove win 10 but it may also ask you to remove drive D as well.

What version of windows was on PC before? If it had win 8 on it there is a chance win 10 will let you keep the partition that D drive is on... If, however, you had win 7 on PC before, it will want you to delete all partitions on the drive before win 10 will install

its because the drive formats win 7 & 10 use are completely different, and mutually exclusive.

I would get a 250gb ssd and use it for windows and then just delete win 10 off the old hdd and use that 149gb for something else. You cannot merge it into D as its in front of D drive on the disk, can only merge space if its behind the partition you want to add it to.

Alternate is buy a 1tb external hdd and copy everything you want to save off D onto there - might be cheaper than a ssd

Solution