Solved

Corrupted windows, any ideas how to fix?

So I tried to set a custom Windows skin using WindowBlinds 10 but the program crashed on itself while setting the theme, leaving me with a broken UI. I can start up Windows and log in but the desktop is just pitch black with my cursor. Pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del returns an error as well. Is there any way to fix this, or do I have to format C: and reinstall Windows?

FYI I am running Windows 10 Anniversary on an SSD.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about corrupted windows ideas fix
  1. Can you get to another computer?

Download the windows media creation tool:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

Make a bootable USB and boot from it, and then instead of install select "Repair", it will give you some repair options, you can then repair your windows install from there.
  2. My Windows 10's UI wont work so I use Classic Shell. It's not a fix, it just uses Windows 7's UI. It's just a workaround
  3. Rogue Leader said:
    Can you get to another computer?

Make a bootable USB and boot from it, and then instead of install select "Repair", it will give you some repair options, you can then repair your windows install from there.

Now that you are here, will it work on my problem too? Everytime I open calendar or search (the magnifying glass) etc. my explorer crashes and restarts. Also when I right click applications like Chrome or anything in the toolbar it will crash.
  4. PotatoComputers said:
    Rogue Leader said:

Now that you are here, will it work on my problem too? Everytime I open calendar or search (the magnifying glass) etc. my explorer crashes and restarts. Also when I right click applications like Chrome or anything in the toolbar it will crash.

Yes you should try it, if you have any additional problems please create your own post, do not hijack others.
  5. Boeing77W said:
    So I tried to set a custom Windows skin using WindowBlinds 10 but the program crashed on itself while setting the theme, leaving me with a broken UI. I can start up Windows and log in but the desktop is just pitch black with my cursor. Pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del returns an error as well. Is there any way to fix this, or do I have to format C: and reinstall Windows?

Hmm sounds like your Windowblinds 10 might not have been up to date. Windows is probably not corrupt. At your login screen hold down shift and in the bottom righthand corner tell the computer to restart. This will allow you to access the recovery tools through the menu's you should be able to get to safemode.

(Select Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> Startup Settings -> restart -> hit F4, F5, F6, 4, 5, or 6 on your keyboard when given the option for what to boot to. When you get logged in with safemode uninstall Windowblinds and reset. You should get your desktop back from there you can download and install the latest version from stardock's website.
  6. caqde said:
    Boeing77W said:

Hmm sounds like your Windowblinds 10 might not have been up to date. Windows is probably not corrupt. At your login screen hold down shift and in the bottom righthand corner tell the computer to restart. This will allow you to access the recovery tools through the menu's you should be able to get to safemode.

(Select Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> Startup Settings -> restart -> hit F4, F5, F6, 4, 5, or 6 on your keyboard when given the option for what to boot to. When you get logged in with safemode uninstall Windowblinds and reset. You should get your desktop back from there you can download and install the latest version from stardock's website.

It was the latest WindowBlinds because I just downloaded the 30-day trial and tried setting a skin. Right now I'm trying to run an SFC scan in Safe Mode. Funny how even Safe Mode UI is broken, so it looks just about the same as the regular startup (black screen with cursor) except for a single command prompt window.
  7. Rogue Leader said:

Yeah I'm on my laptop right now and that's basically what I did with the bootable USB I had lying around lol. Thanks anyways.
  8. Update:

The SFC scan didn't find anything, so I'm trying the DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth command now.

Update 2:

Annnnnnddddddd.....nope nothing changed.
  9. Best answer
    Boeing77W said:
    Update:

The SFC scan didn't find anything, so I'm trying the DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth command now.

Update 2:

Did you do the Windows repair through the bootable USB?

If that failed as well, its time to Re-install Windows....
  10. Rogue Leader said:
    Boeing77W said:
    Update:

Update 2:

Did you do the Windows repair through the bootable USB?

If that failed as well, its time to Re-install Windows....

Yup I saw that one coming. Luckily I kept my files on my HDD. :D

Also thank you to everyone who gave me advice on this thread. I appreciate it very much!
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows Desktops Windowblinds Corrupted