Needing to reinstall Windows 10 upgrade with an 8.1 disk. Reason new hardware.

33miles-

Honorable
Jul 24, 2016
Hi, I'm installing a new motherboard and CPU into my rig (going from intel to amd), and I am assuming I will need to reinstall Windows 10 correct? If yes how would I go about doing so with an 8.1 disk? I upgraded to Win 10 during the free upgrade offer and am wondering how this reinstall will go seeing as I have no Win 10 disk just the 8.1 one. I don't mind doing a fresh install because most of the games I really care about have steam cloud or are an MMO which has all my progress stored server side and all I would really have to do is redownload them. All my hardware will be the same except the motherboard and CPU. Could someone please guide me through this? Thanks so much for your time. :)

Solution
Hello!

The best option here is to do this;

with your PC as it is now (hopefully working :D) go to the start menu in windows 10, click on settings and go to "Update and security"

Then go to the section called "Reset this PC" and click on the "Get started" button,

Follow the instructions to reset your PC.

What this will do is wipe your hard drive and fresh install Windows 10 onto your machine.

Just make sure that you don't install any drivers for your current hardware so then when you plug in your new stuff, windows will detect the new stuff and wont through a fit about it :D

Once you have the new stuff installed then you can install drivers specific for your new hardware :)

GameFreak01048

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016
Hello!

The best option here is to do this;

with your PC as it is now (hopefully working :D) go to the start menu in windows 10, click on settings and go to "Update and security"

Then go to the section called "Reset this PC" and click on the "Get started" button,

Follow the instructions to reset your PC.

What this will do is wipe your hard drive and fresh install Windows 10 onto your machine.

Just make sure that you don't install any drivers for your current hardware so then when you plug in your new stuff, windows will detect the new stuff and wont through a fit about it :D

Once you have the new stuff installed then you can install drivers specific for your new hardware :)

Solution

33miles-

Honorable
Jul 24, 2016
Awesome thanks for the good info guys! :D I will update to the anniversary edition, link my MS account (thanks n0ns3ns3 & USAFRet) and then reset my PC as GameFreak01048 instructed. I'll let you all know how it goes but it could be a few days as I'm waiting on the motherboard from Newegg. I hope to get my rig ready for Forza Horizon 3. But I'm not 100% sure if my GPU can handle it. It's a mildly OC'd GTX 960 4GB. Anyways thanks again everyone. :)

GameFreak01048

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016

You should be alright on medium settings at 1080p I expect :)