Take advantage of a GTX970 price drop to go SLI vs sell and upgrade?

2JZGTE

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014
Hi all,

I currently have one GTX970 Strix and after looking at benchmarks I'm thinking if/when prices drop (or around black friday, or even boxing day) I could splurge and go SLI. The goal is to try and maintain a steady 100+ fps in most games (I have a 144hz non g-sync 1080p monitor).

I know there's no such thing as futureproofing, but how does that stand against selling the 970 and going with the newer generation?

i5-4690k @ stock speed
MSI Krait Z97S
EVGA Supernova G2 750W

Opinions/thoughts?

(Games I'm interested in : Rise of the Tomb Raider, Assetto Corsa, Forza Horizon 3 - this one is pretty demanding according to PCGamer)

2JZGTE

Reputable
Sep 21, 2014
Thanks. I thought I could save by purchasing a GTX970 when prices drop, but it looks like I'll be the one taking the hit lol :)

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

You'd get in the neighborhood of 1070 or a bit better with a 970 SLI. But think of it this way: once you have something broadly similar to the 1070 to do all the things you want to do with a GPU, occasionally now and more often later on, you'll want more than 3.5 gigs of VRAM with a slower 0.5. The 1070 will tend to improve relative to the 970 SLI as time goes on, with better DX12 support, longer driver support, and with less heat and better stability (thanks to having a single card).

There's nothing keeping you from an SLI if you really want to go that route -- assuming your MB can handle it without dropping a card to x4 -- but it's not what I would personally recommend.