New PC suddenly slowed down

TheGreenApple

Commendable
Jun 1, 2016
So I built my new gaming pc last July, and it has worked fine since. It sometimes (rarely) refuses to POST, giving me an American Megatrends screen on next boot, telling me "overclocking failed" (I haven't oc'd anything). After this it takes me to the BIOS screen from which I can boot into Windows normally.

Now my pc has been unused for the last two weeks, and the last time I used it, everything was normal. Yesterday, however, when I booted it up again, not only it refused to post at first, but I also noticed how long Windows 10 took to boot. When I finally got to desktop, I noticed how virtually every program was very laggy and slow to start up. The entire pc has slowed down by a lot.

I have the OS installed on an Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD drive, and most of my games on an 1TB Western Digital HDD. Games run as perfectly as before. However, I tried to start a game installed on the SSD, but gave up after waiting for around 7 minutes for the game to start (normally this particular game starts in well under 2 minutes). All of my programs are installed on the SSD, and I can sort of see a pattern here, as all the programs take an unusually long time to start up, no matter how lightweight they are. TeamSpeak took over 30 seconds to start, and Firefox often freezes for a tiny moment, telling me it isn't responding.

I've tried restarting the pc, I've run virus scans and I've tested the CPU using an intel tool. I wonder now if the system's failure to post, as I described above, has anything to do with this, and if not, then what's causing this? As it has failed to post before but worked fine after, I kind of rule that out of the picture, although that seems like something to be looked into. But is this overall lag truly an issue related to the SSD, or is it about Windows 10 or maybe the CPU? :??:

Thanks in advance!

System specs:
Mobo: Asus Z170-A
GPU: Asus GTX 1070
CPU: Intel core i5 6600K
RAM: 8GB Kingston FuryX
PSU: EVGA 650W

TheGreenApple

Commendable
Jun 1, 2016

Hey, thanks for responding!

There is a newer version of BIOS available, though I feel a little reluctant to go mess with BIOS, as the computer usually boots up normally. I suppose I should update it anyway.
As for the performance issues, I ended up scanning the system files in Safe Mode because the scan seemed to take way too much time in "normal mode". I noticed that in safe mode Windows was as fast as it normally is, nothing seemed to lag. A virus scan that had taken over 5 hours to complete in normal mode was done in just over 2 minutes in safe mode. The system file scan didn't find any problems. I also optimized the drive as you suggested.

However, the problem persists. Programs take a long time to launch and go unresponsive easily.