e:/ is not accessible. access denied.

Andrew_187

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
help please. i tried alot of cmd prompt solutions.
only solution i didnt try is owner tab which i dont have.
and disableing uac but im on windows 10 does win 10 have uac?
drive is ntfs dynamic

Solution
what is on E drive? is it another hdd you are trying to get access to files on? Is it internal or external?

Win 10 has UAC

Andrew_187

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016

its my second drive has movies on it and its internal.
im able to access and view files in admin profile and safe mode. my account has admin but idk what to do to fix

Colif

Win 11 Master
one option

Not sure what did it but I got back access again. I changed to a local account (not sure of the implications) and then changed to that account name in advanced permissions. This time it didn't give me an error message when I made the change. I hope it stays fixed this time.

the ownership options:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/284805-32-accessible-access-denied

one other idea. Use this to make a linux live cd and boot into it and copy the files over to C drive (unless you don't have the space) as linux cares not for windows permissions http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

Andrew_187

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016

funny thing is i tried doing this and i got hdd to be seen i can view on admin default and safe mode. but when i view on my account its access denied. when i go into disk part to check volume and drive letter drive says its hidden
is this the problem?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Now to unhide the partition:
Go to an elevated command prompt=run cmd.exe as administrator

enter following commands:
DISKPART --- run the diskpart program
LIST DISK ---- list the disks in system
SELECT DISK n ----n is number of disk with hidden volume
DETAIL DISK ----- to make sure you got the right one
LIST VOLUME ------lists the volumes in the system
SELECT VOLUME n ----n is the number of the hidden volume
DETAIL VOLUME ---- to make sure you got the right one
ATTRIBUTES VOLUME CLEAR HIDDEN ---clear the hidden attribute
EXIT --- exit from DiskPart
EXIT --- exit from command shell

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/187135-how-do-i-access-hidden-partition-my-hard-drive-2.html

Andrew_187

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016

ive seen that and i just tried again didnt work. you got skype?

Colif

Win 11 Master
i don't think skype would help, i am just searching google for clues.

Have you tried making a local account and seeing if they can access the files. You can copy the folders of your current user (In c/users/username) over top of new one and make it admin so its got same access. It could be your user is corrupted somehow... it seems to happen a lot on win 10.

Andrew_187

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016

well like i mention it seems to work fine on default admin and in safe mode. i just tried disk part again. seems as if theres 2 partitions on second drive both say hidden, however i assign drive letter and i can view the harddrive but why is the main partition not accessible. and i cant use partition wizard cause it doesnt give any options for hdd.

if you had skype this be easier to figure out

Colif

Win 11 Master
Skype requires headset to work.. headset requires drivers that last time i installed them broke my mouse... mouse/headset made by same people.

What started it all happening? Was hdd always in PC or did you move from old PC? it seems its a permissions issue which is odd unless the hdd is from a previous install, but then the ownership route should work.

If you can access drives from safe mode, then it has to be your user. Its not that hard to swap to a new user, they have just as much access as you and all the programs work for them. Instead of wasting time trying to work out why, just create a new user and if it has access to the hdd, then copy movies off it and format it maybe as then the normal user may see it again. Only things that need setting up are browsers and Onedrive. Bonus to local user is cortana doesn't work. I am using one now.