Something wrong... Out of ideas now

DStruct

Reputable
Sep 15, 2016
Hi all

I keep trying to play a game and after a short while it game loses video so the game window just stays a grey colour and I can still hear the sound and every so often my monitor flashes black...
No errors are popping up making anything obvious to me but I have read event log and found some interesting stuff.....

Fault bucket LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_atikmpag.sys, type 0
Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Response: Not available

Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Application Wow-64.exe has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware.

I am getting lots of the above and looking at the times of each event occuring, its similar pattern to the black screens Im getting

A user's local group membership was enumerated. No idea what this means?

Faulting application name: dwm.exe, version: 10.0.14393.0, time stamp: 0x578999ab
Faulting module name: atidxx64.dll, version: 21.19.137.1, time stamp: 0x57dc4d6f

Seeing lots of ATI & AMD so clue to me its the graphics card right?
Frustrating part is, after doing loads of driver reinstalls last week to no resolve I finally decided to wipe the hard drive and format everything, reinstalling windows and reinstalling the latest AMD drivers..... Its almost heart breaking that I am still getting the same problem :(

My Graphic card isnt even overclocked,

Specs if anyone wonders are

Windows 10 64bit Home
i5 2500k which is overclocked to 4.1Ghz
8GB Ram
AMD R9 290X gpu - not overclocked

Please help me I really am all out of ideas and definitely out of luck with this system lately :(

Have you tried going back to older drivers that were known to work correctly for you? Does this occur in other games? What about in Windows itself or other applications? What are your GPU temps, as 290X cards are known to run hot, especially reference designs. What PSU are you using?

DStruct

Reputable
Sep 15, 2016
I havent tried an old old driver yet no that is my next plan to try and havent tried any other games as since last format Its taken me days to redownload everything and ive only really been playing WoW lately.
What I do know is after it went on me last night it did keep black screening in Windows itself last night as well, like the display was losing connection with the graphic card - probably because the driver kept crashing.
Ran MSI Afterburner before, that didnt really help with anything and its impossible to keep my card below 50 degrees when playing any game unfortunately.
PSU is a Cyberpower 850Watt one.. The GPU temps are 30-50idle, up to 70-80 playing games.

Question, in AMD Settings > AMD OverDrive, if you play around with those settings and apply the settings.... Then format or anything, do they settings save to the GPU's BIOS or is it strictly software only? I'd be interested to know what the defaults are for my card to make sure nothing is overclocked in any way

I can't recommend a specific version, but I'd try to match up a timeframe for how long ago things were running normally. If a few months ago, then I'd use a driver version from that time. Also, the Overdrive settings are software only. If you format, they won't be saved. Which version of MSI 290x do you have? The clockspeeds can vary depending on model.

DStruct

Reputable
Sep 15, 2016
I don't know what version I have other than its MSI R9 290X, I think the memory clock is 1250mhz standard if that's anything to go by? I am not at home at the mo Im in work so unable to se.

Things only started to go wrong around 2 weeks ago, Ive had the PC 5 years and the GFX card I upgraded around about 2 years ago I think but I don't know exactly when it was, I was just trying to find out but cant remember where I ordered it from

You could look at MSI website for 290X models and try to figure it out that way. Also, have you tried a system restore from several weeks back to test? Before switching driver versions, might be a good idea to run DDU to remove all remnants before installing different driver set.

DStruct

Reputable
Sep 15, 2016

Appreciate you trying to help mate but that's not going to possible, after already using DDU several times and trying fresh installations of drivers I ended up trying my luck with formatting my HDD and reinstalled Windows 10 so I wont have any restores available to weeks ago :-(

DStruct

Reputable
Sep 15, 2016

Call me crazy but I have just first uninstalled AMD with the proper uninstallation method through Windows, then chose restart Later. Then used DDU in safe mode and uninstalled, restarted... Booted up and ran DDU again to reboot back into safe mode.... Dont know why twice but just to make sure was completely wiped.

Now call me crazy but I am not going to install AMD latest driver from the AMD website, instead I am allowing Windows to choose the driver of its choice for me.......

Wish me luck, I have no idea which version this is lol

image.jpg

DStruct

Reputable
Sep 15, 2016
Also, just found my order from December 2014. Funny but I have the R9 290, not the 290X. I always thought I had 290X haha.

MSI R9 290 GAMING 4GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card

It looks like your particular card can have multiple clockspeeds depending on which mode is enabled. Looks to be a silent mode, gaming mode, and OC mode from what I see on MSI's website. Also, trying the driver through Windows update is worth a shot. Hopefully it was just a bad driver update causing your issues.

DStruct

Reputable
Sep 15, 2016
Cant believe this, after weeks of searching solutions and trying all sorts of reinstalls...
I stumbled upon this earlier,
https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/4psr9u/blizzard_and_amd_please_can_you_fix_the_constant/

TRENDING THREADS