1080p 60hz IPS vs 1080p 144hz freesync TN Monitor

TechTechTech

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
Hi,
So I just got my RX 480 and I'm planning to buy a new monitor. I'm not a avid gamer, but would like to use one that might fit for multipurpose uses via gaming, editing, watching videos. I was wondering if a 144hz freesync would work with it or is it not powerful enough? If it does, would it be worth it vs a IPS monitor? But if it doesn't, then i'll just go with IPS, and would you guys recommend me one. Also, how would a 1440p fair?
Thank you.

Solution
1440p would be a very tough push with anything other than lower details for a single RX 480 in many demanding games, but a FreeSync equipped 1440p monitor means you should be able to find a playable setting (at least) and it would stay smooth until you grab the second to make higher settings and frames possible. All about personal preference and upgrade plans there.

As for IPS: it is great for multi-monitor setups because the viewing angles are more forgiving, and if you do color work, has better reproduction....but I wouldn't be afraid of a good quality TN panel.

Ethanh100

Honorable
Unless you are doing high end photography/video editing, or just really care about better colors, i would say go for the 144hz, that is if your rig can push 144+fps in games. Free sync is also a good edition if you have a AMD card. 1440p would also be a good option because you could find one IPS, but 144hz is better for competitive gaming and just FPS games in general.

Geekwad

Admirable
1440p would be a very tough push with anything other than lower details for a single RX 480 in many demanding games, but a FreeSync equipped 1440p monitor means you should be able to find a playable setting (at least) and it would stay smooth until you grab the second to make higher settings and frames possible. All about personal preference and upgrade plans there.

As for IPS: it is great for multi-monitor setups because the viewing angles are more forgiving, and if you do color work, has better reproduction....but I wouldn't be afraid of a good quality TN panel.

Solution