Weird problem with Windows starting and hard drives dissapearing

marjanbazalac

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2016
So, I have this problem, and it happens once in a while, maybe once a month. One of my hard drives stops working, it's like it gets deattached. For example, today I noticed that my download is limited to 9kB/s, what ever I tried to download. Then I noticed that when I try to access the hard drive, it's very slow. Then, I tried restarting my computer but that didn't work. And it never does. Even unplugging it from power didn't work. That works sometimes. I had to unplug my sata cable from the motherboard and plug it in another slot. That works. But the next time it happens, it will happen in this sata slot.

But last few days, whenever I restart my computer, even when I don't have that problem with my hard drive, I notice that it hangs on the post screen several more seconds and then it hangs on Windows 7 logo screen forever. I then have to unplug it from power and restart it again, and it works then. I checked all my hard drives with HD sentinel and couple more applications and no problems there. I've changed several sata cables, all new, and the problem persists.

Any idea what could cause this issue?

Hi there marjanbazalac,

It may be a good idea to start with just backing up the data stored on the drive.
I see that you've tried using different SATA cables. I believe it may be a good idea to attach the drive with different power cables as well. You can even connect it to another SATA port.

Updating your MOBO's drivers will not hurt as well.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

marjanbazalac

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2016
I've tried also connecting it to a different SATA port. That works at that moment, but after a week, or a month it happens again. I will try with different power cables. I don't have any free at the moment, but I will think of something. Thanks.