Computer Stuck on Black Screen after update

Anthouse

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015
So I just booted back up my PC this morning and was greeting with an update screen saying the usual "windows it updating....will reboot many times" stuff and so I waited. I don't know the exact point that this happened but after one of the restarts, my computer went to the splash screen, booted passed the splash screen, then stopped. After the splash screen it just went to a black screen where I could see and move mouse around but that's it. My motherboard (gigabyte gaming g1 x99 wifi) has a little screen that has codes appear to help with trouble shooting and every time it goes to this black screen the code gets stuck on 73 which means that it's trying to initialize the PCH DXE but it seems to not get passed that. Also I want to mention that I have two versions of Windows in my PC, they're both windows 10 but one is old and broken and on another drive and then there the actually working version on a new ssd I had to install after my old windows wouldn't boot from my other drive but I made sure to go into my boot manager and selected to boot from the drive with the working version of windows. I don't think it's a hardware issue, it's not a newly built PC but it's not insanely old, only about a year old now but I have no clue what's happening and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Colif

Win 11 Master
DXE = Driver Execution Environments, once system RAM is initialized and the PEI phase completes, the DXE environment is entered. The Platform Controller Hub (PCH) Some northbridge functions, the memory controller and PCI-e lanes, were integrated into the CPU while the PCH took over the remaining functions in addition to the traditional roles of the southbridge.

What I would do is remove all the stuff from the system and try and boot with only the keyboard and mouse. One stick of ram and no hard drive.

Then add one additional bit of hardware with a reset between each addition and see where the stop error occurs. I would also run a full Memtest86+ cycle once you are in bios.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?25002-Code-76-pch-dxe-initialization

Asus seem to think its hardware

Anthouse

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015

I was able to get passed the whole 73 thing but not by doing this. sometimes it goes to 73 but if do something like start through a repair disk instead of just letting start on it's own, I get an A0 or AA code from my motherboard which means it's given all control over to the OS and it still doesn't load. Ill try your method but I honestly don't think it's a hardware issue, I will update when I try.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try removing the old hdd and see if you still get the boot problems. it could be that the PC is redoing its scan of drives at start up and for some reason it looked at the old windows 10 drive, not the new one. Have you removed the old drive from the list of choices in boot order in bios?

might be getting PXE errors because drive isn't answering fast enough.

Was old drive always Win 10 or did it have something else on it before? Was it an upgrade from win 7 or a fresh install?

Anthouse

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015

The old drive was an upgrade from windows 8.1 and the new drive is also a upgrade from windows 8.1, it has a windows.old file on the drive. I tried plugging out the old drive, currently I only have the SSD/new drive plugged in but I still can't boot normally. I can get in through safe mode but I don't know what I could do in safe mode to help me get windows running regularly, if you have any suggestions that would be great.