Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Case, motherboard, ram, CPU if needed

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: UK only

Parts Preferences: None

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Current Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: My current PC is a little old and well used. Recently I've replaced the video card and PSU and now a couple of SATA sockets on the motherboard have physically broken and killed my SSD. The motherboard is cramped and limited regarding expansion. It is also USB1. Would also like a quiet (not silent) build as my partner is disabled.

Rather than repairing/replacing parts I think its time to get up-to-date.

My current build is

Case: Generic, would replace.
PSU: Corsair CP-9020098-UK VS Series VS650 ATX/EPS 80 PLUS, UK - 650 W, recent purchase
Video Card: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 760, recent purchase, suitable for my use so retain.
Motherboard: Biostar GF8200E replace
CPU: QuadCore AMD Athlon II X4 630, 2800 MHz Retain or replace, is suitable for my use
RAM: 2x4GB DDR2 Keep or replace depending on motherboard.
Monitor: AOC 2460s New purchase, retain.

So basically looking to upgrade to something newer, only proviso's would be USB 3 to maximise the speed of my Icy Box raid (video storage and Plex), ideally a better layout on the motherboard as currently the SATA sockets are directly under my video card, also would like to be able to add extra USB ports if required (or have 6+ on the motherboard).

My eyes and I are not as young as we used to be so find that fiddly work such as attaching jumpers to motherboards a little difficult so would consider buying a barebones system and replacing the video (and PSU if my current is better).

However its been years since I've been involved with hardware and have no idea what processors etc. are as good as or better than my current machine.

I'd wait until next year when your ready to buy then come and ask again. From what I have read Q1 2017 should have new CPU's from both Intel and AMD so everything will have been shaken up with best choices.

Paladinz

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2015
Thanks for the replies guys, that gives me something to work on at least :)

The ASUS H110M-A Motherboard looks good but a little light on expansion sockets with just one PCI-E x16.

Will come back again in January for an update.