Screen tearing with HDMI connected

Rostropovich

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2014
So, I have this really weird and specific problem. I have a Dell monitor connected via DVI cable to my GTX970 and a LG HDTV connected to it via HDMI cable. The issue is, when the HDTV is connected I experience really bad screen tearing which can't be fixed by Vsync in my 3D applications and full screen games. The issue does not persist if I run a game in borderless mode or when I unplug the HDMI cable from the TV.

I would really appreciate it if someone would know what may be causing this issue or what could I do to fix it for good without the constant yanking of my HDMI cable every time when I want to play a game that doesn't support borderless windowed mode.

Solution

The duplication is messing with Vsync. Use WIN+p before you game(that'll net you some extra performance aswell).
Conversly, if you really want to keep using the second monitor while gaming set it to extend, so you can actually use it(browse for info you need in teh game?).

Rostropovich

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2014

Oh, neat. I forgot about that. The tearing is In all games running at full screen and as far as I can notice only on my monitor. Also, I forgot to mention that I'm duplicating my screen on both displays.

The duplication is messing with Vsync. Use WIN+p before you game(that'll net you some extra performance aswell).
Conversly, if you really want to keep using the second monitor while gaming set it to extend, so you can actually use it(browse for info you need in teh game?).

Solution

Rostropovich

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2014

So, it's just like that and there's no way to resolve the issue with the two cables staying connected except for turning the display off via Win+P?

Not while you duplicate and unless you start switching monitors(as in with get identical ones)

Rostropovich

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2014

Okay. Thank you very much.